Wiring diagram

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I searched the archives and see that others have purchased the diagram from Prospero's Garage, as have I. The fellow who sold it to me refunded my money (willingly) because the wiring to the light switch is different from that in my car and the diagram shows a combination dimmer/turn signal. That's not the way it is on my car. Is mine - with the dimmer stalk on the left of the steering column and the turn signal on the right -- unusual?

The scanned owner's manual wiring diagram available on-line is pretty dismal. Does anyone have a good wiring diagram that they would be willing to share with me, perhaps a high resolution photo sent electronically?

Thanks in advance.

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I searched the archives and see that others have purchased the diagram from Prospero's Garage, as have I. The fellow who sold it to me refunded my money (willingly) because the wiring to the light switch is different from that in my car and the diagram shows a combination dimmer/turn signal. That's not the way it is on my car. Is mine - with the dimmer stalk on the left of the steering column and the turn signal on the right -- unusual?

The scanned owner's manual wiring diagram available on-line is pretty dismal. Does anyone have a good wiring diagram that they would be willing to share with me, perhaps a high resolution photo sent electronically?

Thanks in advance.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have mostly relied on the wiring diagrams in the technical section of this site. There are differences between Euro and US, as shown in this site, and some details that may be left to the imagination, but these diagrams are a good start.

The instrument dimmer is part of the light switch I think in general, and the turn signal is on the right on most coupes I think.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have mostly relied on the wiring diagrams in the technical section of this site. There are differences between Euro and US, as shown in this site, and some details that may be left to the imagination, but these diagrams are a good start.

The instrument dimmer is part of the light switch I think in general, and the turn signal is on the right on most coupes I think.

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dimmer switch

I should make clear I was talking about the low-beam/high-beam headlight dimmer switch being on the left side of the steering column. This switch is one of the wiring diagram problems I have.

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dimmer switch

I should make clear I was talking about the low-beam/high-beam headlight dimmer switch being on the left side of the steering column. This switch is one of the wiring diagram problems I have.

MichaelP

Reaction score
High/low on the left and turn signal on the right is SOP up until '74. The wiring diagram and key in your glovebox owner's manual are pretty good. If you're trying to wire in a new turn signal or dimmer switch, the new part will have wires for european standard. You'll need to wire it slightly different than intended. Problem is, I can't remember how -- it was too long ago. Carl Nelson will know, though.

If you don't have an owner's manual, you can try Carl Nelson, Peter Sliskovich (coupeking), or here (the $45 they're asking isn't bad, assuming it's in good shape):
http://www.booksforcars.com/result1.asp?findmake=BMW&offset=100

MichaelP

Reaction score
High/low on the left and turn signal on the right is SOP up until '74. The wiring diagram and key in your glovebox owner's manual are pretty good. If you're trying to wire in a new turn signal or dimmer switch, the new part will have wires for european standard. You'll need to wire it slightly different than intended. Problem is, I can't remember how -- it was too long ago. Carl Nelson will know, though.

If you don't have an owner's manual, you can try Carl Nelson, Peter Sliskovich (coupeking), or here (the $45 they're asking isn't bad, assuming it's in good shape):
http://www.booksforcars.com/result1.asp?findmake=BMW&offset=100

jmackro

Reaction score
Jim:

Those Prospero's Garage wiring diagrams are as good a solution as any available - they're big, they're in color, they're well made - unfortunately they're inaccurate too.

Well, "inaccurate" may be too harsh a term - it's just that the two versions that Prospero offers ("early" and "late") don't seem to encompass all the versions of wiring that BMW built. My sense is that Prospero's "early" version isn't early enough. The Prospero diagram for my 1970 E9 isn't 100% right. But, I do use it, and feel it was well worth what it cost me.

jmackro

Reaction score
Jim:

Those Prospero's Garage wiring diagrams are as good a solution as any available - they're big, they're in color, they're well made - unfortunately they're inaccurate too.

Well, "inaccurate" may be too harsh a term - it's just that the two versions that Prospero offers ("early" and "late") don't seem to encompass all the versions of wiring that BMW built. My sense is that Prospero's "early" version isn't early enough. The Prospero diagram for my 1970 E9 isn't 100% right. But, I do use it, and feel it was well worth what it cost me.

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Besides the issue of the dipper switch and the turn signal being different, the wire colors and number of wires coming to the light switch itself are all off on the Propero's diagram I have.

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Besides the issue of the dipper switch and the turn signal being different, the wire colors and number of wires coming to the light switch itself are all off on the Propero's diagram I have.

matthewp

Reaction score
there are quite a few wiring diagrams, i had mine enlaged and laminated. i can scan a copy of yours and send it to you. let me know the year and if it is an american car. also your email address.

matthewp

Reaction score
there are quite a few wiring diagrams, i had mine enlaged and laminated. i can scan a copy of yours and send it to you. let me know the year and if it is an american car. also your email address.

damienh

Reaction score
I bought one of those Prospero's diagrams, am I really stupid or is there nothing relating to the fuel injection system on it, even though it's supposed to be for a CSI ?

damienh

Reaction score
I bought one of those Prospero's diagrams, am I really stupid or is there nothing relating to the fuel injection system on it, even though it's supposed to be for a CSI ?