Wood trim in dash question.

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have my dash wood out with the dash pad, Just got the dash back from Justdashs and it sure is beautiful. I would like to remove the light panel from the rear of the heater control section to polish the words in the panel. Is this possible with out breaking something. I would also like to darken the wood panels to better match my Nardi steering wheel but the wood appears to be clamped into its chrome surround. Is it possible to remove the wood without damaging? Any advice on these matters please? Thank you in advance.
Larry Louton IMG_1841.jpeg
IMG_1841.jpeg
IMG_1841.jpeg
IMG_1840.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1843.jpeg
    IMG_1843.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 37

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Like you the words on the wood on my 1972 Bavaria are a bit. I like the well-used look myself. As for darkening the wood, I have owned a couple of coupes and Bavarias over the last 50 years. I have only seen the wood darkened on coupes. But to my eyes it looks odd, not right. I feel the factory knew what it was doing. I have had Nardi wheels in a couple of my coupes and Bavarias. I like the contrast of the original stains. Just my 2 Deutsch Marks worth. With one coupe I forgot to change our all the bulbs I could reach for new ones.

Steve

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Krzysztof, Your clock is still ticking in my dash photo, I tried to open that ad but it’s three years old and I couldn’t find a way to open the ad to contact the man. Pardon my lack of knowledge of German. I really like the silver aluminum strips but would take the medium brown ones if I could open the ad. Also I have been thinking about a wood wheel from an earlier Bavaria that more matches the dashboard wood. Would you know of one ?
Thank you.
Larry Louton
IMG_1850.jpeg

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Krzysztof, I am unable to open an account because of my location, If you can enable a connection with the ad? I would buy them from you understanding a profit for you.

Larry Louton

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Larry,
Post a few more pictures of your Just Dashes dash. It looks beautiful in the picture above. Can you let us know the price they charge? Alternatives for a good E3 dash are very limited and virtually all the originals are cracked....most badly.

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can't find that bill for the sobs and tears when I go thru my receipt file, Oh here it is, Five months gone to California and about 10,000 in quarters. But for every one's information, This is how you get the screws out of the windscreen seal without removing the windscreen, See attached. Going back in you need to enlarge the hole in the frame. Two 5 mm bolts with a piece of sheet metal attached to the head so it can't turn like a hat. Drop thru top of dash pad into the hole described before. add washer and nut. I will get some pictures tomorrow, Car is up on hoist at moment.

Attachments

• IMG_4526.JPG
    IMG_4526.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 34

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Krzysztof, Your clock is still ticking in my dash photo, I tried to open that ad but it’s three years old and I couldn’t find a way to open the ad to contact the man. Pardon my lack of knowledge of German. I really like the silver aluminum strips but would take the medium brown ones if I could open the ad. Also I have been thinking about a wood wheel from an earlier Bavaria that more matches the dashboard wood. Would you know of one ?
Thank you.
Larry Louton

Thank you Larry. Great to hear from You!
I will try to contact the guy if You like me to.
Can you let me know which you would like to take?

Regarding the steering wheel I have wooden one which is in really poor condition, requiring full renovation but the good thing is I have brand new chrome trims for such a wheels :)

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Kris, your clock continues to click and turn in my Bavaria. Thanks, Steve
Thanks Steve. Nice to hear it keeps ticking. I hope I will be able to look into the faulty clocks as they are in preparation to be shipped with other parts (finally)

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Larry,
Post a few more pictures of your Just Dashes dash. It looks beautiful in the picture above. Can you let us know the price they charge? Alternatives for a good E3 dash are very limited and virtually all the originals are cracked....most badly.
I inquired with Just Dashes on getting my NK dash top recovered. Unlike an e3 or 02, it’s basically a flat piece so I figured I’d see what they‘d charge. Nice enough on the phone, they explained the process, sounds like the do excellent work. I sent photos of my dash, they quoted me $2200. Not needing concours quality work, I passed.
Decided to prep the dash myself and take it to a local auto upholstery shop. They recovered it in vinyl, in two days, for a fifth of the JD quote.
Looks great.

IMG_3330.jpeg

Last edited:

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The wood will slide out of the metal surround. It can be separated from the lighted letter portion as well.
I have my dash wood out with the dash pad, Just got the dash back from Justdashs and it sure is beautiful. I would like to remove the light panel from the rear of the heater control section to polish the words in the panel. Is this possible with out breaking something. I would also like to darken the wood panels to better match my Nardi steering wheel but the wood appears to be clamped into its chrome surround. Is it possible to remove the wood without damaging? Any advice on these matters please? Thank you in advance.
Larry Louton View attachment 172757View attachment 172757View attachment 172757,
The wood is venneer, (very thin) is attached to metal/chrome on the back on mine .The metal surround can be removed, very carefully. To stain you would have to sand it, removing all previous stain. I removed original and applied different veneer.
1702691697680.png

Larry Louton View attachment 172757View attachment 172757View attachment 172757View attachment 172755

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Larry Louton View attachment 172757View attachment 172757View attachment 172757View attachment 172755
You can find these wood pieces on ebay or other sites. they are not terribly expensive and i found more than one pair for under 100 dollars so you could get a set and experiment! Careful not to damage the chrome.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The wood is venneer, (very thin) is attached to metal/chrome on the back on mine .The metal surround can be removed, very carefully. To stain you would have to sand it, removing all previous stain. I removed original and applied different veneer.
View attachment 174008
the wood looks like a pomele (quilt) figure. one of my favorites. once did an entire elevator cab out of this type of figured wood - it was a makore wood

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the wood looks like a pomele (quilt) figure. one of my favorites. once did an entire elevator cab out of this type of figured wood - it was a makore wood
It is indeed Sapele. Very dense and hard, extremely labor intensive to curve or bend.