Woodwork

Roger S

Reaction score
I got in late from work last night, too late and too tired to eat but not too tired to open up my shipment. I sent my shabby cores to Madera Concepts, they rebuilt what they could, we both sourced other cores for reference, and they made new tooling for the rest.

Anyway, they promised that no other company could/would compare to their work and ... I got exactly what was promised. I thought I was holding Italian furniture. I was smiling ear to ear all night! I had some custom work done as well that slowed the process - sent the cores out 4 weeks earlier - but Tony and Jeff would not ship anything to me until they were satisfied.

To date, I have never been as satisfied with a product. Al Larson and I have been going back and forth over my interior for about a year and the workmanship and detail speaks to the process. The woodwork sets off the interior in ways one only envisions but hardly ever realizes unless they are capable of doing upholstery and carpentry themselves.

As Madera is open to selling wood pieces separately w/o core exchanges, I put a friend on to them. After seeing my set, he will want an entire set. Sorry if this sounds like an ad, but when folks deliver at reasonable rates (you know how expensive anything for our coupes can be) and with exceptional quality, you cannot help but rave.

If someone can post pictures for me, please PM me.

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Wow. Roger, the workmanship looks awesome. Can't wait to see it in person. For the many in need of wood restoration, this is a great resource to have available, especially without a core. Thanks for the initiative you took. I know at least 2 members of the Tri-State Coupsters who will be interested, and I'm sure your choice of liquid refreshment is on the way. I'll post the pics in the gallery.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Roger,
I too have been in touch with Madera and asked for a cost estimate for a complete set but they required a core (sample) which I didnt have. Therefore, many of us would like to know how much does Maders charge for a complete set.
thanks
Keshav (Germany)

Roger S

Reaction score
Madera Concepts

I had to pay send my cores, source other individual parts and have it sent out, etc. Now that they have the tooling, they can accomodate others and offer more competitive pricing. They were in the process of determining final pricing for bulk orders and individual sets/pieces. For a complete finished set in any wood species, I think the projected retail cost w/o cores was to be $1,750. It's best to call, ask for Tony or Jeff (800.800.1579). They said if I referred others, to tell them to mention my name - maybe there is some added value?

I commissioned some other wood accessories that are subtle, look OEM; a really nice touch. I don't know if they would offer it for sale again or yet but I hope they were not "one offs" as I am going to have my head handed to me when Chuck, Jonathon and some of the other local guys see it.

Pictures are now up in "3.0cs" section of gallery under Chuck's handle: iconoclast6. You will see some black around the corners of the dash. Madera treated sections on the new wood (that did not hold up well on the old wood due to water/age) with a special seal to protect against future wear.

John C

Reaction score
Roger,
The wood is absolutely beautiful, Should look great with that new interior.
Congratulations

John C

razi

Reaction score
Roger,
How big a deal was it to remove all the trim? Mine is in pretty good shape but if I can get it to look like that...

I think it's time to start a new winter project. I need to take the interior apart anyway to get rid of all the annoying little squeeks and rattles that have been bugging me.

Roger S

Reaction score
Razi,

Congrats on your recent purchase. The door panels are relatively easy. The wood panel is a part of the upper section of the panel. For the rear, the seats have to be removed. I can't speak to the dashboard process, I have the glass out of the car and it doesnt sound as if youre going that far as to pull the screen. Someone else will have to chime in about the ease or the possibility of pulling the wood w/o taking out the upper section of the vinyl dash. Mine took some work and effort even with the glass out. You may want to search the archive on this board or even Roadfly. There is another tech site that slips me right now, I think it can be found at: http://www.bmwcsregistry.org/Technical/index.html

Look forward to seeing you around the City, well in a few months. Take care and good luck. Feel free to PM off board.

rns

Eric L.

Reaction score
Re: Madera Concepts

Chris in Laguna said:
Has anyone else ordered from Madera? I'm curious about what other veneers they might have, and what the prices settled out at.

I haven't used Madera, but I did consider them and found them too expensive. I went with a guy in Altadena, Ron Lawless. I was extremely pleased with the work and it was about a thousand less than the quote above. He's a more of a classic car fan than a businessman -- works out of his garage. His Phone number is 626-797-0266. I don't know if he can make cores, but crappy coupe wood usually is not very expensive.