Working on book about rebuild.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm slowly going through the thousands of photos I took for my rebuild.
I took the car completely apart and put it together myself.
See the road sign patch in the floor.
Body after soda blasting.
Fender removed.

Found these from 5/16

Wow, am I glad I made it!!!!
Walked away one time for 10 days.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_7070.JPG
    IMG_7070.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7212.JPG
    IMG_7212.JPG
    569.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_7365.JPG
    IMG_7365.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7368.JPG
    IMG_7368.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7369.JPG
    IMG_7369.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 148

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary,

i know i will need to borrow some of your photos to try to figure out some of the things taken apart by the body shop

m73

Reaction score
I am certain this will be appreciated by many owners and seems like a worthwhile effort. As they say images say a 1000 words -- or maybe 1000 welds in the e9 story.

Keep us updated :)

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
A friend of mine did a similar project with a Jag XK120FHC, and turned it into an informal book. Many of us have bought his ‘book’ (about $30), and I believe he is going to make it into a .pdf soon.

My point is that I would gladly pay for a detailed restoration book. Imagine how valuable it would be to a shop or owner dealing with their first E9.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
All of those pics and comments will certainly help future CS restorers. Getting quality parts is getting harder by the month,however. How many times have we gone to the pages in the W&N catalog only to find they don't have the part you need to complete just a section of your project? Your rust repair is outstanding!!

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary

We both have been down this tough path. Once the coupe takes it's acid bath, then the truth is revealed - well, at least until the fenders come off. A few guys in SoCal have watch the progression of this project over a number of years and it's close to being painted and hopefully ready to show and drive early next year. Paul Cain had a great comment when viewing it at this stage. He mentioned you get to see all the sins of the past all at once, all the lousy, makeshift, patchwork metal repairs that were done through the 80's and 90's. And you get to go through all the pain of fixing them all in one swipe. It's really the only true way to make a coupe rust free. I think the most surprising aspect to me was how weak the roof metal was around the sunroof, seems the water never cleared out of there very well at all - but there could be other reasons.

IMG_0342.JPG
Weak roof.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i would like to put in a preorder if you are taking ;)
The book is for display with the car at shows. Provenance or something like that.
Sorry not for sale. Maybe I'm missing something here. Could always recoup some $$$$$ from the rebuild. Never recoup the hours though.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary

We both have been down this tough path. Once the coupe takes it's acid bath, then the truth is revealed - well, at least until the fenders come off. A few guys in SoCal have watch the progression of this project over a number of years and it's close to being painted and hopefully ready to show and drive early next year. Paul Cain had a great comment when viewing it at this stage. He mentioned you get to see all the sins of the past all at once, all the lousy, makeshift. patchwork metal repairs that were done through the 80's and 90's. And you get to go through all the pain of fixing them all in one swipe. It's really the only true way to make a coupe rust free. I think the most surprising aspect to me was how weak the roof metal was around the sunroof, seems the water never cleared out of there very well at all - but there could be other reasons.

View attachment 101194View attachment 101203View attachment 101196View attachment 101198
Wow, I think yours was worse than mine. I haven't posted the rocker photos yet though? Some of the disappointing details that show up is just how bad a job Karman Ghia did building these bodies. Can't believe the quality control guys at BMW accepted them for assembly.

posix

Reaction score
The book is for display with the car at shows. Provenance or something like that.
Sorry not for sale. Maybe I'm missing something here. Could always recoup some $$$$$ from the rebuild. Never recoup the hours though.
oohhh got it. i thought you were going to write a book on restoring a 3.0cs using the photos and knowledge you gained from your resto haha

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's kinda what I thought as well! Well, for what it's worth, if you did put a book together, I'm sure you'd have buyers and could potentially recover some of those $$ in time and parts. Sort of like the hugely popular "101 Projects for your Porsche" book which I believe became a best seller (in that category).

oohhh got it. i thought you were going to write a book on restoring a 3.0cs using the photos and knowledge you gained from your resto haha