WORLD CUP 2022 - Any fans?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
World Cup is here....any fans? Of course I root for the US but usually to no avail. My big team is the Netherlands as my whole family except for my sister, mom and I live here. The rest all in Holland.

Big football family, Opa (Grandpa) was a pretty good Keeper back in the day, in the 30's, have some cool pictures of him with his cap. Then my Oom (Uncle) Gerhard played for the Dutch Military team. Then my other Oom Bert is the physical therapist for PEC Zwolle, he has his offices at the stadium, pretty cool.

Holland seems to have a pretty easy schedule this year, we will see. Good luck to any fans out there with your teams!

Attachments

• 2D596249-617B-403E-916C-D799C6BB9544.jpeg
    2D596249-617B-403E-916C-D799C6BB9544.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 62
  • C28A5D54-EBE3-4517-8AC4-5965F1DEBDB0.jpeg
    C28A5D54-EBE3-4517-8AC4-5965F1DEBDB0.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 57
  • 17830EA7-7610-48A9-B5CF-0D14089B3D10.jpeg
    17830EA7-7610-48A9-B5CF-0D14089B3D10.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Holland is always a fun to watch team. USA has a tough draw. Weird time and venue for a World Cup…

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have to say, after watching Holland play first two games, I'm worried they are not going to go far in this tourney. The US was a big surprise and showed way more grit and heart, more than I have seen in a while with a team. They made England blush I think. Interesting like usual, some big upsets already. Always fun to watch.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@deQuincey - Sorry to see your beautiful city getting destroyed by Moroccan futbol fans. What a shame...totally unnecessary. I never understood why people want to destroy the cities they live in (in celebration); makes absolutely no sense at all...that's not how one "celebrates" wins. They do that here too sometimes (mainly basketball fans) and I will never understand it.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, fan here - England of course. Was lucky to be alive for the one time we won and have been perennially disappointed since.

Always big hope and belief we have the players, especially today, but our big test is now upon us and while France look good, Brazil looks outstanding

Come on you lions !!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@deQuincey - Sorry to see your beautiful city getting destroyed by Moroccan futbol fans. What a shame...totally unnecessary. I never understood why people want to destroy the cities they live in (in celebration); makes absolutely no sense at all...that's not how one "celebrates" wins. They do that here too sometimes (mainly basketball fans) and I will never understand it.
That is why our amateur league team has no fans...if we want mayhem it has to be created by us players ourselves...
One time a local referee in San Fernando Valley seemed so biased against me on every call that I asked him if my wife sent him. A few heated words followed, then I see him admiring my coupe on the way out and we befriended again on that topic. Another win for the coupe.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, fan here - England of course. Was lucky to be alive for the one time we won and have been perennially disappointed since.

Always big hope and belief we have the players, especially today, but our big test is now upon us and while France look good, Brazil looks outstanding

Come on you lions !!
Just like I predicted today's Basket Ball player Russia prisoner swap, and many other events (some lost to censorship), I predict that England will not win the World Cup. I think the sports psychology angle is so dominant that teams that have not won in such a long time cannot emotionally sustain several consecutive hard wins.

I did watch the 1966 games on YouTube, which at the time were not televised I think, and in 1966 England played at home. And the England-Germany game was epic. I think then the game was more game and less sport, which is great.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
on the left my Opa albert evers with one of hollands best players ever..abe lenstra this was in enschede in the fifties...

Attachments

• 415AA657-6081-40A7-BC5F-40F78E77066E.jpeg
    415AA657-6081-40A7-BC5F-40F78E77066E.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 50

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, man. What a game that was (Nl-Argentina). A lot of folks here fell from their bar stools in despair.
Not sure if a game was ever kept alive soo late in a worldcup match, when NL scored 2-2 at 11 minutes AFTER official 9i mins of playing time.
Anyway, penalties showed who deserved to win; it wasn't us. Kudos to Argentina.

Being half US, half Dutch I had a choice of teams, but now I'm left empty handed.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh, man. What a game that was (Nl-Argentina). A lot of folks here fell from their bar stools in despair.
Not sure if a game was ever kept alive soo late in a worldcup match, when NL scored 2-2 at 11 minutes AFTER official 9i mins of playing time.

Being half US, half Dutch I had a choice of teams, but now I'm left empty handed.
The free kick deception worked to perfection!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat. It was a win/win whoever won the US/Netherlands game. Then Argentina/NL game was for sure very exciting to watch. I actually had to rewatch it the next day after having a few too many cocktails during the live game and it was even more exciting; even knowing the outcome. I was just able to focus on the entire game while not going nuts and being stressed out. I ended up missing a lot of how both teams actually played, strategy, etc.

Looking forward to the final, I won't really be rooting for either team. Hopefully it is a good match and exciting; as a lot of the games were this year. Loved all the underdog wins.