Would it be possible to add a "Build thread(s)" field to each member's profile?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Dan, oftentimes when I see a post from a member I am not too familiar with, I often wonder "Is there a quick way to get to his "Build Thread" or maybe even "New member introduction" post(s) so I know what his background is.

I don't know how much flexibility you have with this software but is it possible for you to add a field in each member's little icon window to the left of the post for that purpose? Just like the one that allows you to enter your location for example.

And if it can't be done there, maybe once you click on a member's profile it can be accessed there?

I think in the previous version of the software there was a field for a photo page in a member's profile.

Thank you for your always excellent work and dedication.

Bo

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is an interesting thought. I've had to search for a member's build thread a couple of times and for some members who post a lot, that can be time consuming.
There is the 'view my garage' link that does show up there, but the 'my garage' isn't really a build thread nor do I see a way to link to a specific thread from there.
Yes, it would be beneficial to have a designated place to link to a member's build thread. It would also be helpful if build threads were tagged that way with keywords, but not everyone thinks of metadata when posting.

Ian

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
There isn't an easy way to create a path to a thread automatically, its the other way around. If you create a Build Thread you could create a link to that thread on your profile page that everyone can see, but its something that each user has to do themselves. The "Projects and Restorations" forum was suppose to be mostly builds, restorations and how to's. Forums like that have to be moderated fairly consistently, otherwise they just turn into a bunch of threads talking about screwdrivers. I could merge the "Projects and Restorations" forum with the General Discussion forum and then separate out the build threads back into a new forum for "Builds and Restorations", essentially starting over, but again, it takes a lot of time to manage this. I could also create a "Builds and Restorations" forum that is just a list of links to builds in other forums, then "lock" the forum so no comments can be added. It would basically be a list of thread titles that link to the original thread somewhere else.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for hat explanation Dan.

When you say "If you create a Build Thread you could create a link to that thread on your profile page that everyone can see" Is it the field called "Home Page"?

I put mine in there as a test. That does work but it takes quite a few steps to get to it. It would be great to have that link show up once you click on a member's profile/avatar box on the left. Is that possible?

As far as re-organizing the forums, I like your idea of separating them into "General and technical discussion" and then "Builds and restorations". But as you pointed out, that would probably entail a lot of work on your part so it is probably not reasonable to ask for that.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Now that is a brilliant idea! Simple and no additional work for Dan. I like it! Thank you Chris!

Would it be a good idea to post a message suggesting people do that?