WTB - 16'' Alpina Style Wheel/Coupe King Replica

BorgBmw

Reaction score
I have a poorly manufactured Coupe King replical alpina style rim that is causing my car to vibrate. I understand there have been problems with these wheels historically (mine are about 5 years old). I would like to replace the faulty one and not purchase 4 new wheels. Anyone know where I might get one. Coupe King appears to be out. Thanks all.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
On the e39 forum years ago we used to run into people who complained about vibrations at speed and were positive the problem was their wheels. It turned out that they had purchased cheap tires, and the tires were not round. There are lots of inexpensive tires out there that can cause this problem. Most BMW people don't buy really cheap tires, but not knowing anything about you or your car, are you sure your tires are round?

Secondly, I have had wheel collision center in Bath, PA repair wheels for me and they do good work. You might want to see if the wheel can be straightened.

BorgBmw

Reaction score
Thanks. The tires (Dunlops) are about the same vintage, but I don't think they were cheap.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've had a non-round premium tire, so it's not only cheap tires that can have this fault even if it's much more common for the cheap ones.

But if you have checked the wheel and know that's the source for the vibrations, I'd try to find someone who can repair it.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Something to think about..Years ago when my DD was an Etype, we could never get the wheel and tire combo exactly round. The solution was that there are people around that can true, shave, a tire while mounted on the car with a machine that would spin the wheels and lightly shave tire..Sort of a lathe type thing. I never had a problem after. I was running Avon tires at the time and am guessing maybe the wheels were a hair out of line.