WTB 1971 E9 Radiator

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to replace my euro spec 1971 BMW 3.0 CS coupes radiator.

The aftermarket one I just installed for $800 isn't functioning with the thermostat correctly so I want to put an OEM part back in.

If you have a radiator in good condition and want to sell it, I want to buy it.

I'm in Los Angeles, California.

Thanks,
Drew.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a bunch of good used ones-
I want to know what radiator you put in?
How would it affect your t-stat?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Drew,

I have an extra radiator. I need to compare my parts car to my own to determine if I should keep for any reason. The parts radiator is brass. The fins definitely need some repositioning. Tedious but doable.

drewbaker

Reaction score
I took the car to Hi Tech Automotive in Silverlake. They have been great with the car generally and have good service, but they are a high turn-over shop.

So when the car was overheating, the did some tests and determined that the radiator had a pin-hole leak in it. They said it couldn't be repaired and recommended replacing the waterpump and radiator. Obviously OEM radiators aren't available so they suggested a aluminum aftermarket. I followed their recommendation, parts and labor was $800.

The car kept overheating. I didn't like this 'replace parts hoping that is the solution' mentality of high volume mechanics. I wanted someone that would take their time to diagnose a problem.

In the mean time I had been talking with Tom Colitt about some restoration work, so I took the car over to him. He meticulously worked through the problem (as well as some other restoration work). From pumps to pressure checks to everything. We were getting ready to pull the engine apart. It seems that the thermostat won't let coolant into the aluminum radiator.

When we swapped in a known-good OEM radiator, it worked as it should.

So the theory we've come up with is perhaps the aluminum core radiator is so good at cooling that the thermostat is never opening. Or at least that's what I understand. I fully trust Tom, he is dead-set an expert on E9's.

So in short, I don't care for an aftermarket radiator and want an original one. I'm PM you sfdon, thanks.

Drew.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well that is quite the saga. It would appear that there is more to this than meets the eye.
I have to think Markos is offering you a better deal so I will bow to him and his radiator.

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
To make a long story a little shorter. Engine doesn't overheat with no thermostat installed and coolant flows through the aluminum radiator and cools engine more than enough. I flushed the aftermarket radiator and it seems to flow fine. (I didn't flush it yet with hot water to check whether it warms up over the entire area).

The engine overheats with correct, brand new and used thermostats installed. Also, overheats after I drilled holes into the thermostat to partially bypass it. It seemed like there was never enough heat to open the thermostat enough, even with the engine hot and boiling. I finally installed a stock radiator and everything is now as it should be. I've never seen anything like it before...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well that is quite the saga. It would appear that there is more to this than meets the eye.
I have to think Markos is offering you a better deal so I will bow to him and his radiator.

Don will be much faster. He's just being nice because I'm sending him some desirable parts! :)

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Damnit! That's what I should have tried. Does wine have a better heat transfer rate than coolant? I know there is glycol in both... ;-)