WTB: 3.0cs M30 Cylinder Head

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking for a perfect condition (tested) or NOS cylinder head for my '73 3.0cs. Can be bare or complete or anything in between, but must be either new or tested with no cracks.

Last edited:

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s for a CS, so carb car. Can do an FI head, which is nearly the same since I will not be using the mechanical fuel pump, but would prefer not if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ahab

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not exactly what you're looking for but I have a nicely built M30B34 cylinder head by Korman Autowerks in NC. It's been in storage for about 15 years and has a new 533i camshaft (Motronic fitment), new rockers, and what look like new valves. Appears to have an OE style valve job and of course new guides and seals. Missing a few studs as shown, and the marks you see near the water passages between cyls 2 and 3 are adhesive from packing tape and not scoring in the head. $1,200 plus ship from PA, pickup ok. PM for more info.

IMG_7418a.jpg

IMG_7419a.jpg

IMG_7421a.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While I can’t see the date on that head, I can see the size of the dimples and a hint of the intake port shape. My guess is it is a b35 Head.
Any chance you could post a pic of the date and the intake port?

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks! My engine is with Korman now, and talking with them over which route to go (original carb b30 head for more $, or newer FI head)

ahab

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice eye Don however B34s have the same injection bump. Ironically the clockstamp on this head happens to be a '89 which could make one think it is a B35 however the B35 port is considerably larger. Here's a shot of the same head with a B34 and a B35 gasket overlaid on the ports.

IMG_7424a.jpg

And here's a shot of a B34 head with a VIN tag identifying it as such, and the same B34 intake gasket on it.

IMG_7425.JPG

ahab

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, I was a bit surprised when I first saw it as well. Before the question comes up about the rockers being misaligned with the valve stems in the pic, I have a set of steel rockers and a Schrick 284/280° cam for this head and removed some of the rocker clips to take a few measurements. I just forgot to replace them before taking pics but they will be reinstalled. The head is all factory equipment as it sits.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so that is a from a 5' E28 BMW 535i. Type Code: DC74 from may of 1987
Vin 1718462 number tag transferred over.

ahab

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don, there are two different pics of two different heads. Yes, the VIN tag you transferred is from a 5/87 E28, but it has nothing to do with the Korman head. That head is sitting in my garage and was provided for B34 intake port reference only, after your comment that you believed the Korman head to be a B35 head. I wanted to show the difference between a B34 port and a B35 port, with an example of an actual B34 head.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
got it- :]
Nice meaty head, you think the 533i cam is 272*??

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All - one I was going to buy fell through, so still looking for one ASAP. Can be any generation of the head that is correct to the combustion chamber design, intake/exhaust ports, and has the mechanical fuel pump port, but needs to be in perfect shape with no cracks

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the rare euro 1st gen m90 head ‘78? with both the early glottal (big bump) intake port to match your intake and the later water passages so that cracking is minimized. It is at Terry Tinney’s shop now and the work to machine the fuel pump hole on the side of the head is prepaid.
Pretty much the best BMW head for your application. PM me if interested.

I would consider Terry to be the best shop in NorCal for BMW engines.

Last edited: