WTB A/C control switches

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My A/C is either off or on high-speed fan only. The temp control does what? I might need both controls that work correctly. "Winter is coming" on GOT. Well, here in south Florida, summer is coming and I need that A/C to work ASAP !!!! Both switches are hard to turn and were probably not used much by the PO in Hawaii.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Remove them carefully (especially the thermostat switch with the capillary tube) and inspect. The thermostat switch controls when the compressor kicks on and off based on cabin temp. The little hex screw on the back controls when this happens. The fan switch has an off position, a reostat section, a second stop (end of reostat) and then full on. Fan switch should have a spacer between it and the fascia, don't lose it and note position for reinstalling. They may need cleaning and lubing with an appropriate electrical circuit cleaner/lube. Don't force them.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a set of AC switches.
Pulled from a 73 e3 parts car last year.
$50 plus shipping
John
7F290F4E-B473-4F6A-832D-4304F2F2A186.jpeg
7AF8BCE3-1AA7-451B-9E1A-EB0CE91843BE.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The E3 fan switch doesn’t work in the e9 (if you have a radio). The e9 switch is mounted sideways to clear the radio, since the e9 face plate is shorter than the e3 version. To mount it sideways a spacer is added to the threaded shaft so that the switch body clears the back side of the faceplate vents. Unfortunately the e3 switch doesn’t have threads long enough to accommodate the spaced. I haven’t done it but you can take it apart to swap the threaded post. Many members have disassembled them and I believe that @aearch did a short write up on the process.

01262981-77E8-40CC-812D-28E78B51B274.jpeg

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The E3 fan switch doesn’t work in the e9 (if you have a radio). The e9 switch is mounted sideways to clear the radio, since the e9 face plate is shorter than the e3 version. To mount it sideways a spacer is added to the threaded shaft so that the switch body clears the back side of the faceplate vents. Unfortunately the e3 switch doesn’t have threads long enough to accommodate the spaced. I haven’t done it but you can take it apart to swap the threaded post. Many members have disassembled them and I believe that @aearch did a short write up on the process.

View attachment 64817
Thanks Markos
There’s always something new to learn in the e9/e3 universe.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Remove them carefully (especially the thermostat switch with the capillary tube) and inspect. The thermostat switch controls when the compressor kicks on and off based on cabin temp. The little hex screw on the back controls when this happens. The fan switch has an off position, a rheostat section, a second stop (end of rheostat) and then full on. Fan switch should have a spacer between it and the fascia, don't lose it and note position for reinstalling. They may need cleaning and lubing with an appropriate electrical circuit cleaner/lube. Don't force them.
Thanks for the instructions. We'll take the switches apart and see their condition. The fan switch has not worked correctly since I bought the car in December. Yesterday I was driving with the fan on High. I touched the new driver side front window switch and the A/C fan stopped along with both windows on the driver side. The front window had been upgraded with the E28 motor controlled via a relay. The electrical problem needs to be solved along with the A/C controls. To be continued, Drew

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew, Don’t you have circuit breakers (from Feb/March 1973) under right side of steering column under dash cover? Check you 25 amp blue fuse for the AC to see if it blew.
Chris--will check the fuse at the shop tomorrow. Then we need to find out why the circuit blew a fuse in the first place if that's what happened. I don't have a decal that shows the fuse box circuits. Thanks for the info. Really hot sitting at traffic lights in this hot weather.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It can be the blower getting hot or a weak compressor, mine will do that after a couple hours and I have no shorts. Fuse 8 out of ten I think, I’m not at home, needs to be 25 amps which is blue.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
It can be the blower getting hot or a weak compressor, mine will do that after a couple hours and I have no shorts. Fuse 8 out of ten I think, I’m not at home, needs to be 25 amps which is blue.
Chris--The fuse box had a 15 amp blown fuse instead of the correct 25 amp blue fuse. Now the center stack is apart while they rebuild the fan switch.

Attachments

• IMG_7713.JPG
    IMG_7713.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_7717.JPG
    IMG_7717.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 161