WTB: Bavaria rear stabilizer bar set. 20mm (?).

mosearch

Reaction score
Perhaps someone out there who has upgraded to bigger bars will have a stock 20mm to spare? For some reason my 1972 appears to have come without a rear bar...though it does have the stock 19mm bar up front.

I have heard that sourcing a set from a later e12 series is a good possible; I'm not sure what's optimal...I don't want to go for a full-on stiff sport ride; just a bit more stability.
Any suggestions?

lloyd

Reaction score
Perhaps someone out there who has upgraded to bigger bars will have a stock 20mm to spare? For some reason my 1972 appears to have come without a rear bar...though it does have the stock 19mm bar up front.

I have heard that sourcing a set from a later e12 series is a good possible; I'm not sure what's optimal...I don't want to go for a full-on stiff sport ride; just a bit more stability.
Any suggestions?

Not all models were equipped with rear anti-roll bars. See language from page below. I recall seeing at least one rear axle carrier that did not have any pre-welded brackets that would support sway bar bushings and, of course, a bar. Is your vehicle so equipped?

Another consideration. Do you really need a bar? For reasons beyond the scope of this post (e.g., traction, over and under steer), the front suspension usually benefited from a thicker bar and the rear, a narrower bar. Sway bars work as a combination with tire width/adhesion/pressure and springs and shocks and vehicle weight distribution. They also add weight.

autobooks_manual_091.jpg

mosearch

Reaction score
Lloyd ; you make a good point.
Since I currently have a 19mm on the front; I should probably be looking for a 16mm for the rear (not a 20mm).
I am fairly sure I do have the necessary brackets. I'll post a couple undercarriage snapshots later.

Arde; what are the dimensions of the front and rear set you have available? And are they from and e3...or e9...or?

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMHO I would not put a larger bar on the rear than the front. As you suggest, if 19mm up front, go with the smaller 16mm in the rear.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde; what are the dimensions of the front and rear set you have available? And are they from and e3...or e9...or?

I measure 17mm diameter for the rear (including the nylon wrapping they are in).
Front seem a bit above 18mm.

They were stock in my 1972 E9.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMHO I would not put a larger bar on the rear than the front. As you suggest, if 19mm up front, go with the smaller 16mm in the rear.
I agree. Most of them should have the mounts. Never seen one without. Mine was the same situation. (No rear bar) I'd upgrade to Suspension Techniques bigger 22mm front (I believe and 19mm rear, I Neue e that's what they are off top of my head) Carl Nelson has the kit. It is so worth it. To me it handles like a bigger 02' now. At least that's how I drive it. But it also has upgraded springs and shocks. You should have no problem finding a cheap rear stock bar.

I'm pretty sure e3 and E9coupe interchangeable if Arde has one off an E9. Double check with other members. Reason they were taken off was I was told during shipping. On the barges for unloading. Probably old wives tale. They got in the way and they never put them back on. Does explain why the mounts are all there. They were designed to have rear sway bars and it does make a big difference. To me it does anyways. Good luck!

mosearch

Reaction score
All that sounds right.

Arde; I think we can work a deal. Let me know how much you want for them. Really I only need the rear; but either way.
Also, if you happen to have the small bits (8 lipped washers, 2 spacer tubes, 2 long bolts, and 2 bushing clamps, etc.) that would be very helpful too.
If you are heading to SF and want to do the exchange in the Mission, I can certainly do that...or, if you are anywhere near the Giants Ballpark, I can offer a short term parking spot in the building where I work at the corner of 2nd and Bryant.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Early e3s like our 2800 had a rear bar and no front bar, later e3s had a front bar and no rear bar, that's how BMW did it back then. And the e12 bar works in the rear on e3, e9 and NKs.

mosearch

Reaction score
"Early e3s ... had a rear bar and no front bar, later e3s had a front bar and no rear bar..."
I guess that's empirical design development at it's best ;). Wonder which e-series were the first with both front & rear.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All that sounds right.

Arde; I think we can work a deal. Let me know how much you want for them. Really I only need the rear; but either way.
Also, if you happen to have the small bits (8 lipped washers, 2 spacer tubes, 2 long bolts, and 2 bushing clamps, etc.) that would be very helpful too.
If you are heading to SF and want to do the exchange in the Mission, I can certainly do that...or, if you are anywhere near the Giants Ballpark, I can offer a short term parking spot in the building where I work at the corner of 2nd and Bryant.

No problem, I will take whatever works for you as they are taking up space and shipping to other states is expensive. I can drop them this week-end wherever you want in San Francisco.
I will check what else I kept,I know the bolts were not in great shape so I may have dumped the stuff...Let me know.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does the e9 + e3 + e12 use the same front bar? i would think so, but don't remember the correct answer. Chris has answered the rear question already ... the reason for the question is whether the suspension techniques set for an e12 works for the e9 / e3

mosearch

Reaction score
How about $40 for the pair (assuming no small bits)...or $50 if you have most of the small bits?
Or if you want to sell just the rear bar I'd go $30 + 10 for hardware for that one...
but I'm guessing you'd rather move them both out.
I will be in SF Saturday morning if that works. And most all weekdays as well.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sure, $40 delivered for both. I will see if I kept anything else. Please PM the location/phone and I will swing by Saturday.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The e12 bar will fit in front but the ends have a slightly different angle to them. Lotus7, John, put one from me in his e9 and said it worked fine.