WTB Bowden cable for the hood

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DQ and me are scrambling to find that part for the E24:

Can the E9 version work for the E24 somehow?

On the way back from the dojo I decided to close it with my right foot...Otherwise it had been lasting forever this cable.

Rek

Reaction score
You can get the spec and have one made close to you. I have ordered one and it was a fraction of the price people are charging.

For reference this particular part is steel rope 2mm gauge, with a standard sized barrel nipple on one end. I guessed the length at 3 m as I couldn't be bothered to measure it.

Don't get excited but here is an image of my nipple.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 10.05.01.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 10.05.01.png
    308.3 KB · Views: 39

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI- Arde is looking for a 6er cable.
Unobtainium

E9 cables are currently available for 20 bucks.

Rek

Reaction score
Not here. W&N charge €22 plus a stabdard €26 shipping. Others want £40 plus shipping.

I am sure that a 6er cable is easily made once the spec is known. I feel sure that BMW don't make their own Bowden cables.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Isn't the original 'cable' not actually a stiff rod of ~1,5mm diameter? (mine is)
I think it was designed to both push and pull the hooks. Nevertheless, I am also not sure if a cable will NOT work.

The end with the cylinder is held in your lever, in your fuse box. The other end is clamped in the 2 hooks with a small bolt in each hook mechanism.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its not just a wire.
look at the very end of it inside your car.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m down at LJI, Carl Nelson says he has E24 cables in stock.

Best, krauser
Thanks!!!
Carl is sending one my way today. He says he hoarded the world supply.
What is the metaphor? Carl is the Saudi Arabia of Bowden cables?

I just removed the old one, that thing is strong, they could have used Bowden cables for the Golden Gate Bridge...

Rek

Reaction score
How does one thread the new cable. There seems to be a hole in the bulkhead and a hole in the firewall and the two are not connected. I would have thought that there was a tube somewhere, to feed through.

Rek

Reaction score
Is there a knack to this rethreading. Any ideas gratefully received. I cut a section of the old cable which was more a solid piece of metal and got it through first time. When trying to get the outer conduit fitted over it it fell out again.

I have tried swearing at it but that doesn't work, but strangely make me feel better. Next thing is to drink next to it and plot revenge for the missing skin on my fingers.