WTB: Center A/C vent and radio panel

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone cut a hole for a radio into mine and the radio faceplate will probably not cover the hack job.
Located in the US.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
have you considered maybe getting an uncut e3 panel (I have one for fairly cheap) and dicing and splicing (welding) there?

32288016681_913313e371_b.jpg

8b39a8cb244bd34668114288db6e4ae5.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can always have a patch welded into your original. Keep that in mind.

As mentioned in your radio thread, I have a repro one available. Shoot me a PM if interested. It is made out of Vinyl not aluminum. On the plus side, it costs (at most) half as much as a good aluminum one.

Also - I know there is at least perfect original one floating around, because my modeler has it in possession. I am borrowing it from a very generious and trusting forum member from out east. He didn't express interest in selligng it to another member, but I'll shoot him a PM to see if he you might be able to change his mind.

In the mean time, here is what mine looks like, two different paint textures:

88077dad8dddcfbfb785b4bc6cb91f5a.jpg

5b63ec1dbdcdd66627660a33390dc406.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW, the E3 one above is not mine; mine is more intact than that.

Yes you can generally find e3 consoles for cheap. I just sold my e3 face plate and console sides for $35. Check with @Koopman as he had a few faceplates for sale, both e9 and e3. None were in great shape but his price reflected condition.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Also, E9 faceplates are much heavier gauge metal than the E3 faceplates so welding up a frankenstein-version may not have good results. Best to get the repro from Mark aforementioned.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Also, E9 faceplates are much heavier gauge metal than the E3 faceplates so welding up a frankenstein-version may not have good results. Best to get the repro from Mark aforementioned.

Are you sure? I have both and can't tell the difference.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm...they feel that way to me side-by-side. I don't have a scale to weigh them though.

I recall that one is a lot beefier than the other. The e9 one is pretty damn heavy. A welder should have no problem replacing the cutout however.

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I'd rather have a used one in the right condition and have my interior guy refinish it. The E3 version is a bit different and would rather stick with something that looks more original. The vinyl 3D printed one is nice, but the speckled finish is close, but not a perfect match to the paint finish in my car.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I looked on eBay.de for quite a while last night. There was an original in good condition not longboard ago. I couldn’t find it however.

If you are patient I would say that one pops up about every two months.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It seems the finish is a very very light texture. So light that the stencils needs to be able to adhere to the surface adequately. Must be some setting on gun and mixing paint w/some super light texture:

img00209-20100831-2243-jpg.38110

I almost would have to say it's a very very light orange peel type texture.