WTB driver side glove box *CHROME* push button

sidcc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mine I has failed and I can't seem to fix it. Does anyone have one they might part with? I'd consider buying the entire "door" if necessary.

thanks!

sidcc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello all
Still looking for a chrome push button for a driver's side glove box. Alternately, I might consider the entire door if the push button is functional and the price is right.
Any leads would be much appreciated.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
IDK, chrome looks better, black knob is way more functional. Chrome button on my E3....I have to wedge my finger to pull it down. Makes no sense to push inward to get the door to drop outward.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
The early cars seem to use the button. The mechanism is quite fiddly with the small spring requiring a specific set-up with the retention post that goes through the body of the latch. The grease gets very hard so to get them working nicely, they have to be pulled apart and degreased and reassembled...with some patience.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
IDK, chrome looks better, black knob is way more functional. Chrome button on my E3....I have to wedge my finger to pull it down. Makes no sense to push inward to get the door to drop outward.
IF that is the case, then something is not in order with your button, perhaps it is what Tferrer describes.

This is how my chrome knob works, and it behaves as one would normally expect:
The chrome button acts in such a way that when you operate it, the locking retracts and it unlocks (ofcourse...). As a result, the door should come toward you by just a quarter inch. The knob in your hand doesn't change position for this, it is the door that is moving; it is moving 'over' the knob (relative to the knob) towards you. As then the door is in it's unlocked position, you can gently lower the door by lowering your hand, still having the button in hand.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is this what you are looking for?
I don't have a key for it.
I does work and came out of a 73 I parted out.
Gary

Attachments

• Lock 1.jpg
    Lock 1.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Lock 2.jpg
    Lock 2.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Lock 3.jpg
    Lock 3.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 47

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IF that is the case, then something is not in order with your button, perhaps it is what Tferrer describes.

This is how my chrome knob works, and it behaves as one would normally expect:
The chrome button acts in such a way that when you operate it, the locking retracts and it unlocks (ofcourse...). As a result, the door should come toward you by just a quarter inch. The knob in your hand doesn't change position for this, it is the door that is moving; it is moving 'over' the knob (relative to the knob) towards you. As then the door is in it's unlocked position, you can gently lower the door by lowering your hand, still having the button in hand.
The knob allows you to push or pull the door when opening. I have issues with my NK with the chrome button, the pin keeps sliding out and the latch does not stay aligned.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
The knob allows you to push or pull the door when opening. I have issues with my NK with the chrome button, the pin keeps sliding out and the latch does not stay aligned.
Yes, that's the issue. Pull it all apart and clean everything. The pin should be a split pin which you can adjust.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have one of those, the pin drift is maddening! Despite my best efforts to repair, they have all failed. I've tried peening the pin ends, gluing the pin, with glue being the longest lasting repair.