WTB: E9 Front Calipers for Vented Rotors

bmwm3owner

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for re-buildable front calipers for E9 3.0CS with vented rotors. Must be rebuildable, have the spacers for the vented rotors and the original RIBE bolts (no stripped RIBE bolts please). If you have a pair that you are willing to part with, I would be interested in chatting.

Thank you so very much. Appreciate it :)

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi, if you're in Europe, I also have a set, partially stripped (pistons out, bleed nipples removed) and ready for a rebuild kit.
pistons are good enough to reuse in my opinion

Edit: I think you're west coast US...

bmwm3owner

Reaction score
Hi, if you're in Europe, I also have a set, partially stripped (pistons out, bleed nipples removed) and ready for a rebuild kit.
pistons are good enough to reuse in my opinion

Edit: I think you're west coast US...
Hi Drew,

Thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind. If @krauser has what I am looking for, then I will work with him on the calipers but if not, you and I should chat. Thank you both so much for your replies! Really appreciate it.

Sash

bmwm3owner

Reaction score
Sash,
I have a set of front E9 vented calipers I 'd like to sell, I will get them out and post pics.

Best, krauser
Hi Krauser,

Have you had a chance to dig the calipers out? Would love to see the pics.

Thanks

Sash

bmwm3owner

Reaction score
Good point. I am located in the US. Portland, OR.
Can you DM me some photos and your asking price?
Thanks!

bmwm3owner

Reaction score
If not in stock, I'll look at my stash.
I have looked for months. No stock anywhere. Plus, the re-built ones are generally garbage. looking for good used ones that I can re-build myself. Let me know what you have. Feel free to DM me with photos!

Sash

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
I have a bunch of unidentified calipers. Could someone kindly post a good pic of said caliper - thanks! I might be able to help out.

bmwm3owner

Reaction score
I have a bunch of unidentified calipers. Could someone kindly post a good pic of said caliper - thanks! I might be able to help out.
I found these photos of some calipers I had from a long time ago. These are the same ones I am looking for. Note the RIBE bolts and the nuts on the other end, and the spacers in the middle for the vented rotors. The calipers I am looking for must have these features:
IMG_9819.jpg
IMG_9820.jpg
IMG_9823.jpg
IMG_9824.jpg
IMG_9825.jpg

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
What's so special about RIBE bolts?
The thing that is most special about them is that they love to break off or strip when you try to remove them from ancient calipers. They've even been known to destroy the RIBE socket! So we use inductive heating to loosen the bolts/nuts up first (Bolt Buster is one example). Mostly works. And we replace them with standard Allen head bolts.
But more to the point, the RIBE bolts came on the early 6 cylinder calipers and the 2002 ti/tii/turbo calipers. And they used nuts on the other end instead of threaded holes in the calipers themselves. The late calipers (mid '76 on?) are also heavier by over a pound and wider than the early versions. The later uses wider brake pads than the earlier, 19mm compared to 15mm. Here are a couple of pics to identify the two versions.

As a sneaky commercial aside, we at 2002sOnly sell vented caliper spacer kits for both these versions of calipers complete with the o-rings required between the spacers and the caliper halves, new high strength bolts/nuts and pad retainer pins and springs. Pic attached. Please PM for further info.

Attachments

• tii vs 6 cylinder (2).jpg
    tii vs 6 cylinder (2).jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 88
  • tii vs 6 cylinder (3).jpg
    tii vs 6 cylinder (3).jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Large Caliper Spacer Kit.jpg
    Large Caliper Spacer Kit.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 127

bmwm3owner

Reaction score
The thing that is most special about them is that they love to break off or strip when you try to remove them from ancient calipers. They've even been known to destroy the RIBE socket! So we use inductive heating to loosen the bolts/nuts up first (Bolt Buster is one example). Mostly works. And we replace them with standard Allen head bolts.
But more to the point, the RIBE bolts came on the early 6 cylinder calipers and the 2002 ti/tii/turbo calipers. And they used nuts on the other end instead of threaded holes in the calipers themselves. The late calipers (mid '76 on?) are also heavier by over a pound and wider than the early versions. The later uses wider brake pads than the earlier, 19mm compared to 15mm. Here are a couple of pics to identify the two versions.

As a sneaky commercial aside, we at 2002sOnly sell vented caliper spacer kits for both these versions of calipers complete with the o-rings required between the spacers and the caliper halves, new high strength bolts/nuts and pad retainer pins and springs. Pic attached. Please PM for further info.
Looking at the photos your provided, it appears that the calipers on the right are marked as CS non-vented? Am I reading that correctly?