WTB E9 headliner material,

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I should buy the material to make a set for two Sunroof E9 I am working on?

Thank you
Tony P.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
also the people in oregon sms fabric
i used theres.
67 bucks for the whole roof
they made an exact copy of the csl material a long time agoin black now they have the off white

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
8CD257F3-F6FA-44A5-876C-A8DFB71FE8AA.jpeg

This is the front piece portion off a 74 with sunroof! Notice th fine checkered mark!

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
30822D32-7854-4515-B9FF-7E0703D54E33.jpeg

This is from the same 74 with sunroof but it doesn’t have the fine checkered marks patterns. I am wondering if this is actually original BMW or aftermarket ?

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
0DD118D6-9244-4E91-8B32-F0F0FDC56E67.jpeg

This is from. 1972 2002tii! Which I am confident is the original that came with the car!
If you zoom in you see the special pattern!

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out if the headliner ever changed from early years to later years?

Sms emailed me back saying they have the top ( 74) regular pattern without the fine checkered mark pattern!

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
SMS auto Fabric , does not catalogue it by car brand for BMW as they do for American cars but apparently they have a lot of stuff so they apparently need to see a picture of what you are looking which is what I did asking for all three types in the above pictures!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
View attachment 49723
This is from the same 74 with sunroof but it doesn’t have the fine checkered marks patterns. I am wondering if this is actually original BMW or aftermarket ?

Aftermarket. There is only one part number in the parts book for a white headliner. Here is my late 73, you can see that the header panel has larger perforations but same pattern.

E8426D81-94A5-4F15-88FA-531B2F654554.jpeg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
For some reason I didn't get an email when someone posted on this thread
I tried to research this for a couple years...

PM me about my experience with SMS Fabrics, short story it didn't work out
Do you have a sun roof?

The few front panels I have seen have the same pattern, more or less, as the main part but looks different because it is a different material, the panel material is thicker, more rubbery

The main part in my car had a different texture, but it very well might have been replaced
I have had my car 20 years, but there was still a lot of time before that
The upholstery person thinks my headliner is probably original, based on the foam and glue appearance, but I sort of doubt it because no one else seems to have this texture
It has the same perforations but the background is a fine leather like rather than the fine orthogonal lines

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark,

Your description is spot on regarding thickness and texture of both pieces. Mine is original with the lines and such but from a CSi from Belgium, it matched my original one.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Aftermarket. There is only one part number in the parts book for a white headliner. Here is my late 73, you can see that the header panel has larger perforations but same pattern.

View attachment 49755
Chris, the spacing looks the same - it seems just the 2 pieces are turned 90 degrees from one another (which is correct as i remember).