WTB E9 lowering springs

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTS-autoteile has a set of 40/20mm H&R springs:

If you would want to buy only the front H&R springs, these are probably the same (even though the picture shows rear springs. VA - Vorderachse - front axle)

Jaymic has a -30mm set, but they're currently out of stock.

I'm using the BMW e12 -40mm H&R front springs only, which I bought from ebay.de. My rear springs are of unknown brand.
DSC_0294.jpg Untitled12.jpg

airidasj

Reaction score

If you would want to buy only the front H&R springs, these are probably the same (even though the picture shows rear springs. VA - Vorderachse - front axle)

Jaymic has a -30mm set, but they're currently out of stock.

I'm using the BMW e12 -40mm H&R front springs only, which I bought from ebay.de. My rear springs are of unknown brand.
View attachment 99522 View attachment 99523
Thanks!!
Took me ages to find H&R springs, I will order them straight away now.
Thanks again

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the CN springs are the defacto standard for coupes. this is what most people have. to me the only downside is that they aren't progressive springs. the H+R are progressive and that peaks my interest.

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI. Joachim is out of the H&R springs. Thinks he’ll have more in 2-3 weeks.

Shipping to US by DHL Express: €140. Ouch!

airidasj

Reaction score
FYI. Joachim is out of the H&R springs. Thinks he’ll have more in 2-3 weeks.

Shipping to US by DHL Express: €140. Ouch!
Are you referring to this one?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
its unfortunate to me that jaymic's are also non-progressive springs

Last I spoke with them (2017) they could make custom springs for us, they also did make a pair of custom front springs for me but it didn't turn out the way I wanted.
It was mostly my own fault for not communicating exactly what I needed, the springs I got was waay to short to stay put between the spring perches when lifting the car.
This is not a problem in the UK (and US?), but over here it won't pass the yearly inspection.

But Jaymic was very understanding and took care of it better than they should have, full refund and free return shipping. So, I don't have any problems with them! :)
Don't know if they can make progressive springs, but shoot them an e-mail.

I really like my H&R front springs, so maybe going with a set of H&R is easier?

Custom (too) short spring:
IMG_9693.jpg

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Help me understand the importance of finding progressive springs rather than using the CN setup.

I have the non-progressive CN springs and Bilstein shocks and I find this combination very comfortable on our bad New Wngland roads. I am currently using 14” dia wheels with 70 series tires.

Perhaps with 16” 17” 18” wheels and low profile tires the ride is too harsh unless you use progressive springs? If yes, then I would also put extra priority on minimizing the weight of the tire /wheel combination to allow use of lower spring rates.

scottau

Reaction score

Great suggestion thanks!
Do you think camber plates will also be required on the fronts?

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great suggestion thanks!
Do you think camber plates will also be required on the fronts?

I use camber plates and would recommend it.
Rolling the fenders is also recommended but I haven't done that, since the tyre hasn't touched the fender once over the last three years, but I'm very careful at low speeds and driving into driveways etc.

scottau

Reaction score
I use camber plates and would recommend it.
Rolling the fenders is also recommended but I haven't done that, since the tyre hasn't touched the fender once over the last three years, but I'm very careful at low speeds and driving into driveways etc.
Ok, was leaning that way and easier to install while the struts are off. Any recommendations on camber plates? And will they affect the lowering height?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, was leaning that way and easier to install while the struts are off. Any recommendations on camber plates? And will they affect the lowering height?

I use the cheap fixed camber plates from Carl Nelson, I think they add one degree of negative camber. Adjustable would be better but they're also way more expensive, k-mac made adjustable plates for our cars, but don't know if they still have them.

It will affect the height, it's like putting a spacer between the strut and the car. With the fixed ones it's only a couple of millimeters, 3mm maybe.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think anybody here has tried both alternatives, so it's a bit difficult to do a fair comparison.
I think you'll be happy no matter which you choose, it probably boils down to if you want to do a -30mm or -40mm drop.
As I stated previously, I'm happy with my H&R front springs, they're not too stiff for regular driving/cruising, in my opinion.