• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

e9chris

Reaction score
Title says it all. Looking to find a replacement for my badly dented early model thin 5 slat kidney grill with aluminum inserts. I recognize that this is not an easy one to find. In the alternative, anyone think this can be fixed?

8FDD3F61-38DB-4C10-90A2-C15576ACBF08.jpeg
D36A71A6-5FA1-4067-B31B-B0473261F1B5.jpeg

e9chris

Reaction score
They aren’t terribly difficult to find. @Stevehose sold
one a few days back. @GK-E30M3 has a few spares. Yours is fixable. Definitely don’t throw it away.

Thank you for that! I’ll see if I can track down someone interested in fixing this one before I make my move on buying something. Am I crazy, but I just don’t think the later, thicker grill looks right?

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On the scale of what these grills look like after 50 years of abuse its quite remarkable to have one with just a few dents. Keep this one alive! I've got one of each style and leaning towards installing the black 4 post.

e9chris

Reaction score
On the scale of what these grills look like after 50 years of abuse its quite remarkable to have one with just a few dents. Keep this one alive! I've got one of each style and leaning towards installing the black 4 post.

I’m definitely going to try and restore this one to its former glory. I hear you on the 50 year old condition. It still amazes me how well this car has held up. My e9 is a 1970, I am restoring her meticulously as a birthday celebration for her. I have an aggressive timeline to get her back on the road in 2020. So some of the smaller items where it may be more effective from a time perspective to buy new, will be purchased to save valuable build time. That being said, I’m not throwing anything out or selling anything if there is a chance it can be salvaged.

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You might try contacting Speedway Polishing http://www.speedwaypolishing.com/ to both fix and polish as new. He does excellent work and fixed a few pieces that I sent for polishing and clear coating.

I’m definitely going to try and restore this one to its former glory. I hear you on the 50 year old condition. It still amazes me how well this car has held up. My e9 is a 1970, I am restoring her meticulously as a birthday celebration for her. I have an aggressive timeline to get her back on the road in 2020. So some of the smaller items where it may be more effective from a time perspective to buy new, will be purchased to save valuable build time. That being said, I’m not throwing anything out or selling anything if there is a chance it can be salvaged.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
THE BEST REPAIR GUY FOR THIS
IS JOHNSON PLATING IN OAKLAND HES FAST AND
EXTREMELY REASONABLY PRICED
HE FIX IT BRAND NEW

e9chris

Reaction score
Do you mean Speedway Polishing? Sure, many of us here in S. California use Speedway. I have had them straighten and polish stainless steel parts and I definitely endorse them. As you probably know, they're at 1979 Ritchey St, Santa Ana, CA 92705, Phone: (714) 542-7778

Fantastic, thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Appreciate the input.