WTB: Euro CSi/CSL Headlight switch

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm looking for the correct headlight switch for my 72 CSL (Nov 72 build date).

I bought what @sfdon and I thought would be the correct one but alas it's not.

The switch on the LEFT (circled in GREEN ) is the one in the car and what I'm looking to buy.

20210928_103420.jpg
The one on the right is the one I bought and is now for sale for $85 bones which I think is what I paid Don for it. There's the same one on ebay right now for $175

Please let me know if you have an extra one of these "laying around". Mine turns on the headlights fine but doesn't activate the interior/dash lights.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can bypass the rheostat to energize the dash lights, it’s the last two terminals on the switch. Who dims them anyway?
Being the electrical genius that I am, could you put that in layman's terms? I mean for everyone else's benefit, mind you, I TOTALLY get what you're saying... ;-)

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a great idea. Those of us who haven't upgraded our lights can barely see our instruments at night on full blast. I never dim mine.
Chris--I will need to rebuild my clock that was stopped from the voltage surge up at Hilton Head. That's when I want to use brighter indicator lights in the instrument panel to replace those 2 watt bulbs. I was thinking about 5W LED that should only draw about 2 watts. But they probably are not able to be dimmed and could actually be too bright. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Drew

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris--I will need to rebuild my clock that was stopped from the voltage surge up at Hilton Head. That's when I want to use brighter indicator lights in the instrument panel to replace those 2 watt bulbs. I was thinking about 5W LED that should only draw about 2 watts. But they probably are not able to be dimmed and could actually be too bright. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Drew

It might be obvious but might be good info to some:

In case you would be willing to put white pay attention to buy warm white or yellow/orange, depending what look you're looking for for the dash as set.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm planning to do the 4w incandescent bulbs. as Chris suggested.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm planning to do the 4w incandescent bulbs. as Chris suggested.

I have several examples how higher than recommended wattage of bulbs was causing speed-up deterioration of the plastic parts in the device they've been mounted.

Also ... heat inside the device (clock, speedo...) is causing accelerated aging of the electronic parts and solder joints cracking on the PCB.

I suppose you will only use the car from time to time, so the effect should not be so important to be taken into account.

Just to make some others aware.