Wtb foot rest foam blocks

Mario L.

Reaction score
Looking for 2-3 sets to complete some restorations
These are the large foam type blocks that create the foot rest on the passenger side and the angled slope in front of the pedal are and also function as a sound deadener.
cracked in one or two places is acceptable . . cash awaits the seller!

Please contact me directly at [email protected] or call my office, 603-228-2888

Thank you,
Mario L.

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am looking for the same thing for a RHD model. If you've them them let me know

Thanks

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Foam Blocks.

Hi Mario:
Are the blocks made out of styrafoam,like the standard white coffee cups or are they soft and spongy and flexable? I can get the white styrafoam and all that would be needed would be a hot wire to cut and shape into the shapes needed.
Good Luck.
Koopman

Mario L.

Reaction score
It isn't white Styrofoam, but a more solid cast foam that fractures if not removed properly. I doubt white Styrofoam has the density to absorb sound and or deal with the firewall heat from an exhaust header?

Mario L.

jmackro

Reaction score
all that would be needed would be a hot wire to cut and shape into the shapes needed.

The shape is probably more complicated than a hot wire could produce. It would be nice if someone made aftermarket replacements, perhaps by using the last, good set on the planet to make a mold.

alanmcg

Reaction score
plus

what good are they? i took mine out as provides for more legroom. not going to sell them, but not sure what good they are either.

jmackro

Reaction score
what good are they? i took mine out as provides for more legroom.

That's a good question. Without the blocks, the floor and firewall intersect at close to a 90 degree angle. Yea, the blocks take away some cabin volume, but they do give the driver and passenger a footrest that is at a comfortable angle. Why BMW couldn't just shape the floor/firewall sheetmetal at such an angle is a mystery. I guess the blocks provide better insulation than just sheetmetal plus the carpet pad would have.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you are right that white styro won't work, but there is a dense, fine texture, more sculptable blue foam. architects use the blue foam to make mass models with a hot wire ... and with some patience and skill, i've seen a guy make a sphere. its been too long, i'm out of practice and no longer have the machine.

FastCougar

Reaction score
Looking for 2-3 sets to complete some restorations
These are the large foam type blocks that create the foot rest on the passenger side and the angled slope in front of the pedal are and also function as a sound deadener.
cracked in one or two places is acceptable . . cash awaits the seller!

Please contact me directly at [email protected] or call my office, 603-228-2888

Thank you,
Mario L.
Tell you what, you can have your way with the interior of my father's 3.0 CSi and in return, all you have to do is remediate a little front end rust ;)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone try this

I took some measurements and pics and posted them on another thread but I think someone had the awesome idea of using "Great Stuff" The foam in the can that is used for construction and available at Lowe's or HD. Did anyone try this? I am going to try on a friends coupe who seems to be missing the blocks.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
perhaps you can cast it in the car (with parchment paper underneath), so you can remove it. then cut the front side to the right angle.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't get that stuff anywhere near the car, it expands like crazy and permanently sticks to anything it touches

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMHO
if there is any need at all for that parts, i can not tell, but if you are finally interested on those parts i would recommend building them by glueing lyers of commercial foam noise absorbing material
there are such products you may buy at your local DIY store, here we have LEROY MERLIN, AKI,...or a good upholstery shop
better if you find automotive rated foams
you may choose from different textures
my proposal is to build it as architects build scaled landscapes, by adding layers glueing them together
do not worry too much for the precission, it will be finally covered by the carpet anyway
and please do not use PU construction foam, it is a mess and it ended up in a very rigid thing