WTB: Fuel Tank

Albert

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for fuel tank? I have to replace mine.

I believe there was a part company on here mentioned making their own to sale, but I forgot who.

If anyone knows one for sale or a company please let me know.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Albert - your 74 has a tank that is installed from the underside. most tanks on e9 are installed from within the trunk - the US '74 model has the trunk bumper braces which makes the gas tank narrower.

the part number according to realoem is 16111112233 ... that is the same part number on W+N's website ... which seems odd since they don't have the bumper braces in the trunk in europe.

hold onto your hat - its expensive to buy a new one $1152 ... its 1075 euro from w+n plus at least 49 euro to ship it. cheaper to buy it domestically. msrp is 1371.50 so shop around and find the best dealer price.

if your tank isn't in terrible shape, consider using the POR-15 product to clean and reseal your tank - a little bit of time, but significantly less expensive.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Albert - your 74 has a tank that is installed from the underside. most tanks on e9 are installed from within the trunk - the US '74 model has the trunk bumper braces which makes the gas tank narrower.

the part number according to realoem is 16111112233 ... that is the same part number on W+N's website ... which seems odd since they don't have the bumper braces in the trunk in europe.

hold onto your hat - its expensive to buy a new one $1152 ... its 1075 euro from w+n plus at least 49 euro to ship it. cheaper to buy it domestically. msrp is 1371.50 so shop around and find the best dealer price.

if your tank isn't in terrible shape, consider using the POR-15 product to clean and reseal your tank - a little bit of time, but significantly less expensive.
Yes Por-15 or take it to Gas Tank Re-Nu

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Has anyone here used "Gas Tank Re-Nu"? I am getting the dreaded gas smell from my '74 also.
Thanks,
Kingman

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score

There we go with the odd-ball '74s again...

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you can smell gas in a 74 it may not be all bad news.
My UK December 1973, which has the tank mounted from beneath, smelt of petrol. I took it out and replaced the foam seal that goes between the tank and frame. I also replaced the breather pipe, in the U.K. we do not have the charcoal element that you may have. So the breather vents to under the boot (trunk) floor. Reassembled everything and it is pretty much fixed. Whilst doing this take a look for any holes in the boot floor, I had to add a grommet where I guess an extra cable once ran.
Also have a look at the seal on the petrol tank filler cap.
Of course there are other possible fluid vapour leaks areas eg the fuel level sensor seal or the fuel return pipe, assuming that yours is also injection.