WTB Left Hand steering stork for 72 CSL

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anybody got one of these lying around. I'm not talking about the wiper stork but the light stork. I know there are a couple of pin configurations.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That’s a rare part in the USA - no csi’s or Csl’s ever sold in USA
BMW will not sell us that part without a drivers license and a registration of a euro car in our name.

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That’s a rare part in the USA - no csi’s or Csl’s ever sold in USA
BMW will not sell us that part without a drivers license and a registration of a euro car in our name.

Well that's bloody great...
I'll have to keep on looking. I'm assuming it might also be the same in E3s?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dip switches are different in USA. We have different lamps, bulbs and wiring.
To convert to euro headlights we change all that and modify the wiring from the dip switch.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I tell my children that all of my spare vintage steering wheels come from a “steering stork”. It helps to avoid challenging conversations about my addiction.

5F4A22B9-E5BF-4074-A8D8-F843773532F9.jpeg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What would a RHD Euro st A lk be worth? He asks venally.

why ask? There’s almost zero chance that something so rare exists- and even less likely one would be at the edge of Antarctica In Australia.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
From a post by Shawn Essex Feb 4 2017 -

To help clarify the DIP switch numbers.

DIP switch (Hi/Low..left side of steering column) info

BMW Part #: 61 31 1 351 854 (Euro)
(stamped number on part is: 1350153 8357)

And from HBChris -

The euro dip switch is unique since in Europe the lo beam bulb is an H1 so when hi is selected it still turns in the lo beam H1 vs. the US style dual filament H4 lo beam.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Perhaps another description for high beam operation-

with euro headlight setup, BOTH high beam white/violet circuit and low beam yellow/white circuit are activated with 4 separate h1 bulbs.

with the USA headlight setup, ONLY the high beam white/violet circuit is activated which lights up filaments in all 4 sealed beams.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Further to Don's post, which I hope helps in understanding the differences - the US has limitations on headlight brightness that differ from the European limitations.

Many of us think that when we switch on our brights lights we are merely turning on a second set of lights that are aimed more upward and that double out light output. This is what happens in Euro cars, but not in US cars. In US cars, there are two filaments in the lowbeam housing. One is used in most driving situations, but in order to meet federal DOT limitations, the low beam is switched to a lower output filament when the high beam is in use. Thus, the US stalk performs two switching functions when the brights are illuminated.

These light output limitations are also the reason we are not supposed to run more than four front lights, so fog lights are (supposed to be) wired to turn off the bright lights.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Found two, both in a bag with a part number 61 31 1 351 854. This is the part number for a CSL, but the parts in the bag are not identical. One is brand new, and has a black connector with four pins. The other has a white connector and five pins. A buddy is going to look at the connector in his 71 CSi to confirm which connector is correct for the CSi (and hence the CSL).

More later...

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Seems to be some confusion here. Probably mostly on my part. This is the pin configuration I require.
This is from my RHD 72 CS. From memory the 72 CSL is the same.

Image.jpeg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 3 csi’s to check for you.
keep in mind that part of getting a gray market car imported to USA was changing the lighting to USA rules.

the last price I see on those new stock was huge.
about AU 720.00

Reactions: Wes

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last i saw…

Attachments

• 3FB7F6D5-9588-4679-8276-110A7882FE9A.png
    3FB7F6D5-9588-4679-8276-110A7882FE9A.png
    494.4 KB · Views: 110