WTB Left Hand steering stork for 72 CSL

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wes- can we see the other side with quantity and color of wires?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the Antarctic version I have.

Attachments

• Stork 1.jpg
    Stork 1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Stork 2a.jpg
    Stork 2a.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 105

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wes- sorry to chime in so late. Been traveling.
I have 5 euro cars in my driveway or at shop.

im seeing these -

Attachments

• 210BB04F-08E0-468A-8964-CDF5A8FF59D0.jpeg
    210BB04F-08E0-468A-8964-CDF5A8FF59D0.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 110
  • F11CDAE8-592B-4EBE-ADD4-9CAB3A1332F9.jpeg
    F11CDAE8-592B-4EBE-ADD4-9CAB3A1332F9.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 106

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wes- sorry to chime in so late. Been traveling.
I have 5 euro cars in my driveway or at shop.

im seeing these -
My buddy has that stalk too, brand new in the original packaging. Never been installed in a coupe. But it does not appear to be the stalk Wes needs.

I looked at the two stalks side by side yesterday. Both connectors have yellow, brown/yellow, yellow/white and green wires, but the white connector has an additional white wire. The black connector has a deep groove running between the first two connector slots and no mounting tabs on the ends. The white connector also is not symetrical; there are two grooves toward the outside of two connector on one of the longer sides. The black connector will not fit into the same connector as the white one, and the white connector will not fit into the same connector as the black one.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
My buddy has that stalk too, brand new in the original packaging. Never been installed in a coupe. But it does not appear to be the stalk Wes needs.

I looked at the two stalks side by side yesterday. Both connectors have yellow, brown/yellow, yellow/white and green wires, but the white connector has an additional white wire. The black connector has a deep groove running between the first two connector slots and no mounting tabs on the ends. The white connector also is not symetrical; there are two grooves toward the outside of two connector on one of the longer sides. The black connector will not fit into the same connector as the white one, and the white connector will not fit into the same connector as the black one.

That's what you call good detective work.

@Wes - it's a CSL. You HAVE to go the most expensive route or else it won't be correct. At least thats what I keep hearing ;-)

Rek

Reaction score
I am late to this but I need one of these too. The plastic section which holds the stalk has broken. Currently trying out different sorts to repair but none have worked so far as the force on that part is high. I have a 71 CS with the six way connector.

Attachments

• IMG_7052.JPG
    IMG_7052.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7053.JPG
    IMG_7053.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7054.JPG
    IMG_7054.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 84

Rek

Reaction score
No replies so I looked at a fix.
The issue seems to be the plastic box section of the switch breaks because of the bending motion of the stalk/stork (whatever). Mine still worked but the stalk waggled like a rag doll.
It seems the switches are very expensive but I fixed mine and thought I would share.

I dissembled the switch and tried gluing the plastic block but nothing was not strong enough. However the plastic block pivots on two points, one in plastic and one spring loaded with a small domed metal piece. I used a small M2 12mm long nut and bolt, with the bolt having a rounded head. I had to grind away the plastic block pivot and slightly round off the bolt head even more as this was to be the new pivot. I bolted the two sections together (along with some glue for extra bonding) and placed the spring loaded metal dome over the nut end of the nut and bolt.

It works, and has the strength to withstand the bending, at least in the short term. I need to close the switch firmly but will try a few things on that.

Given that these switches can cost anywhere between $400 and $600 this 20 pence save might be of interest.

Attachments

• IMG_7068.JPG
    IMG_7068.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 80

Rek

Reaction score
The answer as to whether it worked was No! It was solid and worked well for a while but I knocked it accidentally and the plastic switch broke again.Trying to have the block 3D printed but it seems expensive here. I might have to buy a new switch. :(

Rek

Reaction score
After a little Googling I found that the 2002 switch looks remarkably like the E9 version. It has blade connectors but seems the same. W&N confirmed this so I bought one from them for £80. The end screws off both versions so it will hopefully look the same too.

Rek

Reaction score
The 2002 stalk fits & works perfectly. I unscrewed the end off mine original stalk and screwed it onto the 2002 after removing a small section of the rubber/plastic coating. The back of the stalk has spade connectors so there was a little fiddling to put those on my wiring and it works perfectly.

NOS from W&N for $80. A really good fix considering what these stalks go for if they are for an E9.