WTB / Long shot / E9 Trunk Roundel curved bezel

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I discovered I made a horrific error after taking a test drive in Patricia Mayer's car, only to discover I had not fastened down the new trunk Roundel or perfect new chrome curved bezel. I know this is unobtainium. But I have some unobtainium to trade or pay cash. This is the part I need:

Coupe rear trunk bezel 51145780170 Item no. 5 in the below image.

If you have one, I'd love to chat.

Thank you,
Paul Cain

Attachments

• 51145780170 Genuine BMW Base  BMW Parts Deal.png
    51145780170 Genuine BMW Base BMW Parts Deal.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 73

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@dbower That part was easy. I had filed away one NOS rubber gasket years ago. Getting it to fit correctly was a different matter.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2454 (1).jpg
    IMG_2454 (1).jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

dbower

Reaction score
@dbower That part was easy. I had filed away one NOS rubber gasket years ago. Getting it to fit correctly was a different matter.
Paul: I tried boiling mine, stretching it and ironing it, all without success. Wound up cutting it at the bottom and stretching it to fit the rest of the way around.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you are on to the best solution. The bezel will not hold the entire perimeter flush to the body, so it constantly wants to creep inward and shrink. Cutting it at 6 pm is a very good idea, you'd never see it.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does this rubber gasket only go on the 2 piece Roundel badge? My badge is 1 piece with a curved base and there is no rubber gasket.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does this rubber gasket only go on the 2 piece Roundel badge? My badge is 1 piece with a curved base and there is no rubber gasket.
BMW superceded the two piece with an integrated replacement part with no gasket. Over the years, as the roundels faded and needed to be replaced, folks replaced the original parts with the integrated piece and threw away the base that Paul was seeking. This is why they are so hard to find.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Do judges actually look at the year, know the time of the badge transition and potentially ding you?

I put some rubber cement along the edge of the base to protect the paint, some 3M strip caulk around the posts to stop any water. I tried to make a gasket from thin styrofoam left over from redoing my heater box but it was quite tedious and unsuccessful.