WTB pair of Autoflug safetybelts.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a fully functional pair of automatic Autoflug front safety belts. Preferable 1972, like the once in the picture below.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• Autoflueg.JPG
    Autoflueg.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 312

Philippe db

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Stan.

Also reproductions of the ones with anchor point under the rear armrest? That is what I have now.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I purchase replacement recently so I looked into this
My understanding was the 'under the rear armrest' is for 74
I have a 72, the shoulder belt is attached to the ceiling
You are supposed to fold it up and hang it on the ceiling when you are not using it
The replacement fixes that by making the shoulder and seat belt one loop

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info.

Actually I have the Autoflug retractable belts installed in my '72 Csi. On the Autoflug tag production date is 1972 as well. No idea if these were the standard fit belts but I would very much like to find the same examples.

Just bought this driver side Autoflug belt that is in perfect condition but it is marked 1976. Apart from the fact that it seems to be a little larger then what is installed now I also find the production date 1976 odd since they only made E9's till 1975.

Based upon the sellers pictures (see below) it however came out of an E9 donor car.

Attachments

• Belt 5.jpg
    Belt 5.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Belt 3.jpg
    Belt 3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 148
  • $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 146
  • belt ebay 2.jpg
    belt ebay 2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 142

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi
I did research this a bit, if you want, PM me your email and I will send if some photos

From what I found out, what you are showing with the inertia reel behind the rear armrest is late, not 72
But if you have that, it looks like the best solution

The 72, like mine has a really bad set up
the shoulder and seat belts are separate, the shoulder hangs from the ceiling
If you don't have that, great
The replacement for the 72 type adds an extension that hangs down
My car is in work so have not tried it yet, but based on what others say it seems like it will be a great improvement, it has to be!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Philippe,

I've never studied a 74 Autoflug belt but those buckles and receivers are different from the 73 and earlier for sure, I would think a much later car but not a coupe.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Indeed the '76 I received is different from the '72 actually installed.

Bigger retractor system, other tongue and receiver. But based upon the pictures I posted you can see that it apparently was installed in an E9. When exactly it ended up in there and where it came from is another question of course.

That is why I started this thread. Even if it would fit I don't like the idea of having two different seatbelts in the car.

Below two more pictures that might help in identifying this belt.

Attachments

• belt 001.jpg
    belt 001.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 155
  • belt 002.jpg
    belt 002.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 137

Philippe db

Reaction score
Of course it was.

Prior to 1973 there only was "Made in Germany"

After 1973 made in "Western Germany" was used but certainly not on everything.

Philippe db

Reaction score
1973?[/QUOT]

Chris it was only in 1973 that the "bundesgerichtshof" decided that making a destinction between BRD and the DDR would be a good thing. Before 1973 both Germanies only used "made in Germany"

As of then using "Western Germany" became popular but not the rule.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Philippe (and others with 74 seatbelts),

Is there another mounting point slightly below where your belt is mounted? It looks higher than the pre-74 coupes, the fixed belts in the 2800CS used this lower mount I believe. Can you confirm? Also, you have the pre-74 armrests without the cutout for the belt to slide? How deep is the retractor measured horizontally, would love to know how much room is needed to clear the armrest.

Chris

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i have the pre 74 style
for the driver side only but its perfect shape. in so far as mounting i can tell you whatever you need to know
send me a note i can provide pics and dimensions of the 74 and the in armrest details
[email protected]
what you have must be from 76 or 75
as the 74 has a split tongue design.
i have your exact unit ill post a pic.

sbscott

Site Donor
Reaction score
Philippe (and others with 74 seatbelts),

Is there another mounting point slightly below where your belt is mounted? It looks higher than the pre-74 coupes, the fixed belts in the 2800CS used this lower mount I believe. Can you confirm? Also, you have the pre-74 armrests without the cutout for the belt to slide? How deep is the retractor measured horizontally, would love to know how much room is needed to clear the armrest.

Chris
Chris, thanks for asking this question. I have a '71 2800 CS with no shoulder belt installed and am trying to figure out the best option to install a retractable shoulder belt.

As Chris stated, I believe the mounting point or the pre-74 coupes like mine is slightly lower.

Alan, I'll shoot you an email. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    355.5 KB · Views: 129

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, thanks for asking this question. I have a '71 2800 CS with no shoulder belt installed and am trying to figure out the best option to install a retractable shoulder belt.

As Chris stated, I believe the mounting point or the pre-74 coupes like mine is slightly lower.

Alan, I'll shoot you an email. Thanks for the help.

@sbscott , i do have a full set of original Autoflug front safety belts PM if you are interested

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott needs the 74 style, if it will fit, with the rear mounted retractor. We just aren't sure how much depth is needed as the armrest changed when they utilized this approach.