WTB: Partial under-dash wiring harness

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am looking for a under dash electrical harness for a 1970 2800cs.

I had an electrical meltdown from the headlight switch wiring back to the harness. Damage is limited to approximately the first 12" from the light switch. Photo attached.

I will likely splice in the repair.

I am assuming the wiring is similar in early E9s and E3s.

Full under dash or partial.

Thanks!

main light switch wiring.jpg

Wladek

Reaction score
I am currently during re-wiring the whole car electrical harness. I am not 100% sure if understood you well, but i can tell you that you can't replace partial underdash harness, some of cables from lights button go to fuse box, but some of them also go directly to front lights, speedo wiring etc., so if you don't want to disassemble the whole front harness with underhood part - in my opinion the easiest option will be to cut fried cables sections, replace this sections with new cables (aftermarket), solder them & protect with heat shrink sleeves. Or also pretty easy, little bit more work but better option - disassemble fried wires with connectors from lights button plug, replace them with new plugs & wires (aftermarket); new wires solder directly after fried area.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
right, if the plug isn't melted, see if you can remove the spades in it and splice in new wires. Will be hard to get color-coded ones that match, but I guess, any will do since the runs won't be that long (12").

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am currently during re-wiring the whole car electrical harness. I am not 100% sure if understood you well, but i can tell you that you can't replace partial underdash harness, some of cables from lights button go to fuse box, but some of them also go directly to front lights, speedo wiring etc., so if you don't want to disassemble the whole front harness with underhood part - in my opinion the easiest option will be to cut fried cables sections, replace this sections with new cables (aftermarket), solder them & protect with heat shrink sleeves. Or also pretty easy, little bit more work but better option - disassemble fried wires with connectors from lights button plug, replace them with new plugs & wires (aftermarket); new wires solder directly after fried area.

Thanks Waldek. That is the plan. Not intending to replace the entire harness but need the wires. Want to match the original.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
right, if the plug isn't melted, see if you can remove the spades in it and splice in new wires. Will be hard to get color-coded ones that match, but I guess, any will do since the runs won't be that long (12").
Yes, thanks. Really want to try and match the original wiring color code if I can.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can also hunt the junkyards and cut some wires off some old BMWs. I saved a bunch of it from the E21 and E34 I junked.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am looking for a under dash electrical harness for a 1970 2800cs.

I had an electrical meltdown from the headlight switch wiring back to the harness. Damage is limited to approximately the first 12" from the light switch. Photo attached.

I will likely splice in the repair.

I am assuming the wiring is similar in early E9s and E3s.

Full under dash or partial.

Thanks!

View attachment 112438
I have an extra harness from a 73 CS. I will try to look tomorrow and see if that section is still there.
Gary

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Make sure you know what you asking for- early wiring is different from later wiring.
Stripes were originally barber pole.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Make sure you know what you asking for- early wiring is different from later wiring.
Stripes were originally barber pole.
Don,
Yes my wiring is barber pole and 16g as Chris pointed out. Have any idea what year the wiring changed? Post "73? I will compare wire markings and arrangement before procuring.

thanks

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have an extra harness from a 73 CS. I will try to look tomorrow and see if that section is still there.
Gary
So is this the section you need that is in your photo?
I may have to unwrap some to look at it closer.
I think this harness came out of midyear 73 2250360.
Will look at it more carefully Monday. This may be stripes instead of barber pole.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You never answered?
I looked more carefully today and with your photo in hand I found this?
Does this look like what you need?
How far back?
Not excited about cutting up a perfectly good harness.

Attachments

• IMG_5240.jpg
    IMG_5240.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5241.jpg
    IMG_5241.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5242.jpg
    IMG_5242.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 67