WTB: Petri steering wheel spacer?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm using a Petri 38 + stock CS/CSi Petri hub in my coupe.
I also run Scheels with a straight adaptor plate, and this means the seat is tilted a little bit backwards, which is great for supporting my long legs.
The problem with sitting tilted backwards, is that my arms aren't quite long enough to have a comfortable grip on the steering wheel. I'd say that the optimal distance between your body and the steering wheel is when you sit in a neutral position in the seat, and can rest your wrist on top of the steering wheel and let your hand fall down behind the wheel towards the gauge cluster.

This is not the case at the moment, and I'd need another 2-3cm (about 1 inch) of hub length to achieve this. The original CSL hubs are crazy money, and the CSL reproduction hubs are expensive.
Anybody knows of, or happens to have a spacer available for my needs? I haven't found any so it's probably a long shot.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Robert,
2-3cm you won’t achieve even with a Csl hub
If you were to find a spacer, the hub end will look further out from under the cover…..not ideal
Look for a telescopic steering column would surely be the solution except for availability and price
Last but not least, (just kidding), try doing pull-ups :love:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Robert,
2-3cm you won’t achieve even with a Csl hub
If you were to find a spacer, the hub end will look further out from under the cover…..not ideal
Look for a telescopic steering column would surely be the solution except for availability and price
Last but not least, (just kidding), try doing pull-ups :love:

Keshav,
Yeah, the CSL is only about 1cm longer if I remember correctly?
I'm aware that the spacer will be fully visible and not under the cover, but that's a compromise I'm willing to take, and I'm sure it could look acceptable with some textured paint to make it look something close to the hub cover.
Telescopic column would be ideal, but it feels like too big a project when I could "simply" put a spacer between the hub and the wheel and be done with it.
I don't think it's a T-rex thing either, my wing span is 2 meters so it should be enough, but obviously not :D

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, CSL hub is a cm and a bit. Not enough.
take the hub to a machine shop, decide where to chop and have them make the spacer. @Wladek could possibly recommend the best section of the hub to add the spacer to?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, CSL hub is a cm and a bit. Not enough.
take the hub to a machine shop, decide where to chop and have them make the spacer. @Wladek could possibly recommend the best section of the hub to add the spacer to?

Okay,
I was thinking more like a spacer that you bolt to the hub, which in turn has the same threaded hole pattern offset to bolt the wheel to.
That way you wouldn't need to modify the hub which is a big plus, but the spacer needs some very specific cut outs at the hub end, to fit over the hub cover.
A machine shop is probably my best bet, but thought I should ask here first if anyone had seen something like this.

Wladek

Reaction score
I think Robert if you need 2-3cm - one of the best ways will be spacer between hub & steering wheel spokes.
1. Option without original hub cover - from steel or aluminium on the cnc you make 90mm outside diameter round spacer/adapter on thickness you need + crown for horn button, drill the holes in it for longer bolts & that's it.
2. Option with original hub cover - all as in option 1 + from both sides you will have to mill on milling machine the shape & thickness of 3 spokes (from underneath - outside shape & from behind - inside shape)

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Look at this you guys, I've always been impressed, and continues to be so by how helpful everyone here is.
Ask for something that doesn't exist, and still someone, @Wladek in this case, reaches out and is willing to make a one-off special for you.

The spacer turned out beautiful, and the driving position is greatly improved. Thanks Wladek!

IMG_20210831_121631.jpg

IMG_20210831_121700.jpg

IMG_20210902_182348.jpg

IMG_20210902_182024.jpg

IMG_20210902_181421.jpg

IMG_20210902_181404.jpg

Last edited: