WTB: Rear Muffler

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking to buy a good used, stock rear muffler for a 3.0 CS. I know that new ones are available; however, it's pricey and eventually I'll probably upgrade to CK's system. For now, would like to ditch the small and loud Magnaflow can PO installed. Thanks.

Walter

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you know that the coupeking system is based on a couple of magnaflow cans. coupeking sells a "carrot" that can be installed in their systems to quiet them somewhat. have you considered putting one of those in? i just looked on the CK website but didn't see it. you might touch base with Peter

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I wanted to quiet my custom coupe exhaust I went to my local meineke(sp) shop.
He put on a cheap ford truck muffler that did the job.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
you know that the coupeking system is based on a couple of magnaflow cans. coupeking sells a "carrot" that can be installed in their systems to quiet them somewhat. have you considered putting one of those in? i just looked on the CK website but didn't see it. you might touch base with Peter

Unfortunately, the PO eliminated the front muffler and center resonator, so now there is just a straight pipe leading all the way from the front to the rear muffler which is a really small magnaflow unit. It's loud, and I don't think creates enough back pressure for the stock motor which may be contributing to a really rough/sputtering idle.

If no one has a used rear can, I'll give CK a call to see if he has one; LIJ didn't.

thanks,

Walter

lloyd

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the PO eliminated the front muffler and center resonator, so now there is just a straight pipe leading all the way from the front to the rear muffler which is a really small magnaflow unit. It's loud, and I don't think creates enough back pressure for the stock motor which may be contributing to a really rough/sputtering idle.

If no one has a used rear can, I'll give CK a call to see if he has one; LIJ didn't.

thanks,

Walter

Maybe I have missed something but why not simply re-install a center resonator, even something aftermarket, e.g., Magnaflow? Even a dimpled pipe or a pipe with bends tends to add back pressure.

If you are truly concerned with the absence of back pressure, it would be easy enough to test by simply (temporarily) restricting the end of the tail pipe with an appropriately sized can. With respect, if your engine is stock or close to it, and you are not employing long tube headers and/or an aftermarket cam, or fuel injection with an aftermarket chip, I doubt the lack of back pressure is the cause of a squirrely or rough idle.

Generally, two-cycle engines benefit from back pressure and expansion chambers. Conversely, reduced back pressure is desirable in a four-cycle engine. But for the noise usually associated with an unmuffled exhaust, we probably wouldn't need them. If the exhaust ducting is too large, it can adversely affect performance, by permitting a reduction in exhaust gas velocity. Adding restrictions to exhaust tubing may abate sound but it is rarely a performance fix.

Long distance diagnoses have never been my forté, and since I am unfamiliar with your mechanicals, sight unseen, I would only suggest revisiting some of the basics, including plugs (NGK BP5ES) gap, ignition timing and valve lash. Any or all of those "adjustables" can provoke a poor idle. Since I am ignorant regarding your mode of fuel delivery, to the extent idle mixture is adjustable, consider doing so. Again, if your engine has been significantly modified, all bets are off and please disregard the above suggestions.

hth

iu

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I might have one to sell, I think I want to sell the entire system together though

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I might have one to sell, I think I want to sell the entire system together though

I would love to buy just the rear muffler as I have source the other sections, but understand that it's probably a PITA to chop it up and try to sell it piece by piece. I had a lead on another rear muffler, but the gentlemen wanted to sell it as part of a system. Shipping from WA to NC of a whole system together probably not feasible anyway. Please let me know if you decide to sell just the rear muffler.

thanks,

Walter

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe I have missed something but why not simply re-install a center resonator, even something aftermarket, e.g., Magnaflow? Even a dimpled pipe or a pipe with bends tends to add back pressure.

If you are truly concerned with the absence of back pressure, it would be easy enough to test by simply (temporarily) restricting the end of the tail pipe with an appropriately sized can. With respect, if your engine is stock or close to it, and you are not employing long tube headers and/or an aftermarket cam, or fuel injection with an aftermarket chip, I doubt the lack of back pressure is the cause of a squirrely or rough idle.

Generally, two-cycle engines benefit from back pressure and expansion chambers. Conversely, reduced back pressure is desirable in a four-cycle engine. But for the noise usually associated with an unmuffled exhaust, we probably wouldn't need them. If the exhaust ducting is too large, it can adversely affect performance, by permitting a reduction in exhaust gas velocity. Adding restrictions to exhaust tubing may abate sound but it is rarely a performance fix.

Long distance diagnoses have never been my forté, and since I am unfamiliar with your mechanicals, sight unseen, I would only suggest revisiting some of the basics, including plugs (NGK BP5ES) gap, ignition timing and valve lash. Any or all of those "adjustables" can provoke a poor idle. Since I am ignorant regarding your mode of fuel delivery, to the extent idle mixture is adjustable, consider doing so. Again, if your engine has been significantly modified, all bets are off and please disregard the above suggestions.

hth

iu

Yes, my stock coupe definitely needs a tune-up and it will get one, but even in a really nice state of tune the exhaust would be too loud for me. I live in an apartment complex and won't use this car before nine in the morning because the roar of the exhaust on cold start up is deafening inside the garage. I'm going for a stock system so that I can get stock sound for now; all is temporary anyway as I have a new motor waiting to be dropped in eventually.

thanks,

Walter

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Make sure the size is correct, 2800's had a smaller diameter exhaust pipe unless it has been changed along the way. 55mm vs 60mm.

1Jarhead2

Reaction score
muffler

Walter, if the other ones wont fit the bill,I happen to have 3 complete exhaust systems. They are nos, while 1 is complete and assembled the other 2 sets are still in pieces as they came from BMW.
034_zpsrp1bdtnn.jpg

I can take pictures of the separate nos mufflers tomorrow