WTB - set of Zenith carbs for a '73 or earlier.

waynesie

Reaction score
Looking for a set of Zeniths for a '73 or earlier.

I have a set of '74-76 Zeniths that I rebuilt... I don't know there was a difference until I tried to use them... well, I was wrong, emissions crap, and I don't want to mod my car or the carbs to force them to work.

Let me know what you might have. I have a set of webers that work just fine, I just wanted to try something different.

Thanks,
Wayne

waynesie

Reaction score
I got the carbs with my project car, a '71 2800CS and they were mounted, but the car was not running at the time. There were lots of strangle parts on the car. Now obvious that the carbs were not original to the car.... they might be from something other than a BMW. They are also missing the thermo-starting valve, but both idle valves work. I rebuild both.

The carbs have some kind of fuel bypass valve on the fuel inlet side that should go to a return to the fuel tank, there is a vacuum line to it. There was a hose that bridged between the two with a tee that was plugged. Initially I tried to run it without the tube, and both plugged, and the car would not stay running. I put the tube back in and it seamed to work, but it did not run very well. It was very intermittent....

I went to my friend and guru Art Krill, told me not to bother with these as they would be too much trouble and just get earlier carbs. The only reference I could find on this was for the '74 US model for this return. I trust Art, plus without the thermostarting valve they are tainted.

Wayne

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In 74 they added the fuel return valve and line, it can be removed with no adverse effects. The thermo valve gets removed and plugged with a bolt on many coupes, I think it operates in a narrow range and doesn’t do much either. The internals are all the same, if it still has a metal tag the blue books show which model they came from.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
pm sent, Wayne...

---dp in Longmont

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i do have a set of us carbs in perfect condition after intensive cleaning, and ready for assembly,
new choke solenoids, seals and gaskets and membranes all bmw provenance
if you are interested i can send you pics and complete the assembly for you during this holidays

i am used to do this, i always finish my carbs ready for plug and play and you will receive a tutorial about how to tune and synchronize them, do not believe in gurus, DIY

Last edited:

waynesie

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_2520.JPG
    IMG_2520.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2521.JPG
    IMG_2521.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2523.JPG
    IMG_2523.JPG