WTB: Sound absorber for hood (E3)

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Part number 51481806707.
Showing NLA from BMW - does anyone have any NOS of these available for sale?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rob Budd, who owns Classic 9 Leather is a friend of mine, and provides good products at reasonable prices. I bought my hood liner from him about 2 months ago. It's in the box of many parts & stuff to install this winter. He is also doing some re-upholstering work for me.

He also occasionally has these listed on eBay, but it's easy to order directly. Just give him a call.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Got an email response from Bob at Classic 9 Leather - he is unsure of whether or not he's ever supplied the E3 hood liner foam, and seems to think he may not have the templates. I suggested he has done so, to a number of customers.
Can I jog his memory with some names and approximate dates to whom/when he supplied these?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
E3 kiwi,

Sorry, I may have confused you and others. The liners Rob made for me are for an e9, not an e3. IF someone here could supply him patterns, I'm sure he'd make up a nice set.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
OK, so bavbob may have been Classic 9's only E3 customer, and the templates he sent might have been misplaced, by the sound of it.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can send him the link to my picture and I bet he will remember. I just used wax paper and traced out the shapes (I had the hood off at the time).

I like this better than OEM foam for one reason. After you clean off all that old stuff/glue, you will swear you will never do it again. I found citrus GooGone helpful for the glue with a plastic scraper.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was assured it was available from BMW so I ordered one for the e3, I will let you know if it actually shows up.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
You can send him the link to my picture and I bet he will remember. I just used wax paper and traced out the shapes (I had the hood off at the time).

I like this better than OEM foam for one reason. After you clean off all that old stuff/glue, you will swear you will never do it again. I found citrus GooGone helpful for the glue with a plastic scraper.

I did send him your picture Bob, firstly to illustrate the difference between the E9 and E3 hoods, and secondly to prove he has made and supplied at least one set for an E3 customer!
He is now going to search his archives for the E3 templates.

Fortunately my hood is new, so has no old glue to remove in preparation for the new foam liners.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
I was assured it was available from BMW so I ordered one for the e3, I will let you know if it actually shows up.
BMW here say the E3 hood sound absorber is NLA from BMW Germany.

I then asked them if they'd checked with BMW Classic, but have so far received no response to this suggestion.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lets see if it shows up. BMW classic is the same as BMW I thought when it comes to parts. Dealers use the same ETK to order parts for all models.