WTB - Thermostat housing for triple Weber conversion

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am gathering parts for a future conversion and reading about the work others here have done I understand this will be a necessary component. Korman is out at the moment, but the expect more to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

I am not in a rush, so I thought I would check here and see if someone has a housing that they don't need.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Boonies - you may want to coordinate with Drew Gregg. When we were in Hilton Head for OFest, we ran into Ray Korman and chatted with him about this. Drew asked about the manifolds, and Ray said he can't get them any more, but he said they may have or could get the tstat housings. I think he said they make up the housings by modifying stock housings. Point of all of this is that even if they don't have one laying around, I understood Ray to be telling Drew they might make one for you. If I have this right, maybe both you and Drew could join forces and get them to make a couple.

Another alternative might be to hunt down one of those spacer Markos made up that offsets a stock housing enough to clear the carbs. He had a thread on this.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had some made to go with our M30 triple side draft system.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had some made to go with our M30 triple side draft system.

Hal - You may be interested in another piece of the discussion Drew and I had with Korman. When Drew asked about the intake manifolds, Ray told us why he no longer offers them. Apparently, there was a fire at his supplier's location, and they lost not only the mold for the castings but also the drawings. Ray wanted to continue to offer them, but didn't want to pay for a new set of drawings and/or a mold to be made up from scratch because he felt the demand was too low.

I have no idea what the demand may be, but since you seem to be taking up the mantle on some of this stuff, you might want to consider making something simliar to Ray's one piece intake manifold. In doing so, you could also incorporate mounting points for your linkage system and put a vacuum port or two underneath. This would provide a cleaner more integrated look.

And while I am spending your money, I would think there may be a demand for an airbox that fits our cars. I think this design is fabuluous - https://timjasonperformance.com/dcoe-45-project. For the 2002, Ray Korman offered something similar to this a few years back, which I saw at the Vintage. I talked to one of Ray's guys at the time - they nevered offered a triple setup, again the demand was too low. Stevehose contacted Tim Jason about making one of these for a triple weber setup, but because of his VGS intake manifold and the fact that he found a VGS airbox, he didn't take it very far. I am a fan of the upturned horns incorporated into this design. They effectively lenghten the horn. Alpina used them in their airbox. Hood and brake booster clearance would be issues that would have to be addressed. If you like this idea, you might talk to Steve about his effort.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
And while I am spending your money
Not that I need any help doing that!! But thank you for those insights into the Korman systems. I actually worked for Korman's former race crew chief and mechanic in Iowa City, IA: Jim Simpson at Simpson Motorsport.

Creating those intake manifold molds and buying enough of them to justify the meager income would be be a budget killer I think. There is a company making the intake manifolds in UK: https://www.webcon.co.uk/products/16522-bmw-28-30-35-3-x-45-dcoe/. Though their linkage system is the same old crappy clamp-on-lever version that Korman, Redline and others sell.
you could also incorporate mounting points for your linkage system
Our system doesn't really require mounting points as it bolts directly to the same studs as the carburetors. We designed it after the original 2002 ti linkage system to give it a more OEM look. This also means it works with almost any intake manifolds ever made, including Korman's.

Thank you for the suggestions as we are always looking for new products to consider. In fact, we are about to announce the availability of downdraft and side draft linkages for all the RHD M10s out there. I haven't looked into doing the same for the M30s with side drafts but certainly could if there was enough interest.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Chris, thanks for you quick & helpful response! I found the information that @Markos shared in this string: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/thermostat-housing-to-clear-new-triple-webers-korman.32514/page-2

@Drew Gregg, I am reaching out to the owner of Racehead Engineering as @Markos suggested and will provide details.
@boonies--I think we should team up and get the Korman modified T-stat housing. I like the look of the Korman piece in Chris' engine. Very clean and does not need the extra gaskets and spacer. My goal is to install a better radiator this summer after going to Highlands,NC motoring Festival. That should be plenty of time for Carl Bennett to make up 2 of them for us.----Drew

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just read that Boonies bought his triple carb set-up from Hal. He makes quality stuff. You should also buy his 3rd brake light for your Coupe. It is the best and safest mod I have done to my car.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@boonies--I think we should team up and get the Korman modified T-stat housing. I like the look of the Korman piece in Chris' engine. Very clean and does not need the extra gaskets and spacer. My goal is to install a better radiator this summer after going to Highlands,NC motoring Festival. That should be plenty of time for Carl Bennett to make up 2 of them for us.----Drew
Thanks @Drew Gregg . I hope I will be set with the equipment necessary once I start the work on this project (probably 2024). I did buy an aluminum radiator from @sfdon a couple of years ago and am very happy with it.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fly Eagles Fly!! I grew up near Chester in Delaware Cty. and drove my 1964 Triumph Spitfire around the 2 lane roads in Chester County. And yes, I'll be eating a cheesesteak while cheering on the Eagles Sunday. But first, the Turk will be in a car show near Biscayne Bay.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
By the way, I heard from Korman earlier this week. Their note is as follows:
"The H20 neck kit (modified H20 neck, gaskets, plugs and gasket rings) is $301.68. I am currently out of these, but expect to have more in a week or so...."

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not that I need any help doing that!! But thank you for those insights into the Korman systems. I actually worked for Korman's former race crew chief and mechanic in Iowa City, IA: Jim Simpson at Simpson Motorsport.

Creating those intake manifold molds and buying enough of them to justify the meager income would be be a budget killer I think. There is a company making the intake manifolds in UK: https://www.webcon.co.uk/products/16522-bmw-28-30-35-3-x-45-dcoe/. Though their linkage system is the same old crappy clamp-on-lever version that Korman, Redline and others sell.

Our system doesn't really require mounting points as it bolts directly to the same studs as the carburetors. We designed it after the original 2002 ti linkage system to give it a more OEM look. This also means it works with almost any intake manifolds ever made, including Korman's.

Thank you for the suggestions as we are always looking for new products to consider. In fact, we are about to announce the availability of downdraft and side draft linkages for all the RHD M10s out there. I haven't looked into doing the same for the M30s with side drafts but certainly could if there was enough interest.
Hal - Here again, I have a Korman intake manifold, but at one point I looked at the dbilas offerings: https://dbilas-shop.com/ansaugtrakt/ansaugbruecken/bmw/1021/ansaugbruecke-bmw-2-5-3-5-12v-m30?c=7146

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bump, I am again searching for a Korman thermostat housing. I did reach out to Korman again this morning to see if they have any in stock, but also wanted to check here to see if any of you have one to sell.

Thanks.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW: are you using the newer DCOE’s w the air correctors sticking out the sides?

The older types without that feature can work without modifying the thermostat housing AFAIK. It does depend on the specific manifold design. When I did my E3, I used 3 individual manifolds from the big Weber place in CA,

We did cut the flange thickness down a bit (1/4” from both faces). so we could use these filters w the stock brake booster. This also helped a bit w the thermostat housing clearance.

Here is one more thing that can help when using the older style DCOE. The 1 size smaller stud/nut gives a tad more clearance to the thermostat housing.
EC7B33BF-8305-4814-95F2-8930FA5B6C04.jpeg
(picture)