WTB Trim Rings and Hub Caps for ‘72 Bavaria Sn# 3102048

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If anyone else has a decent set of trim rings, I'm potentially interested.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe I have a nice set of caps from my Bavaria, I do not have the rings (never did).

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I curious how others take the center cap off without damaging it? I had to take mine off for the first time the other day and ended up taking a 6" bolt and grinding the head down to make a thin "tooth" to grab the underside of the cap. Pulled straight out and it worked pretty good. Seems like I've seen similar tools for hub caps.

Not sure this style would work..

This might..

This is kinda what I ended up with..

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I use the hub cap removal tool that is part of the E3 lug wrench.

s-l1600.jpg

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hmm. I've seen that hinged piece before but never stopped to think about what it was. I'll have to see if I have a lug wrench. Thanks Dick!
I've just used some trim removal tools in the past which generally works OK although it's stressing the plastic tool a bit. I'll have to see if I have that tool in the trunk.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There's a beautifully set on CL. ONLY 900 DOLLARS. WHAT IS YOUR BUDJET FOR A SET OF HUBCAPS?
I have a friend who has a set but only except offers.
Let me know and I will get some photos.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've just used some trim removal tools in the past which generally works OK although it's stressing the plastic tool a bit. I'll have to see if I have that tool in the trunk.
I started with a plastic trim removal tool but it wouldn't take them off. I'm pretty sure I've seen a lug wrench laying around with the cap removal arm on it. Now that I know what it is. LOL

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There's a beautifully set on CL. ONLY 900 DOLLARS. WHAT IS YOUR BUDJET FOR A SET OF HUBCAPS?
I have a friend who has a set but only except offers.
Let me know and I will get some photos.
I'll PM you.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I curious how others take the center cap off without damaging it? I had to take mine off for the first time the other day and ended up taking a 6" bolt and grinding the head down to make a thin "tooth" to grab the underside of the cap. Pulled straight out and it worked pretty good. Seems like I've seen similar tools for hub caps.

Not sure this style would work..

This might..

This is kinda what I ended up with..
for things that required a delicate approach, but some force (like doorpanel clips, window trim and hupcaps) i use this solution: I've chopped up a kitchen cutting board. those things are made from tough PE plastic material; the more expensive ones from pure PTFE (Teflon). the cheap one will do. I've cut it into strips of 2 inch (5 cm wide), and made the tips in various shapes: sharp point, fork for those doorpanel trim clips, and knife edge. Works wonders on hupcaps too!
As they are soft enough, you can hammer them quite hard while keeping paint intact.
20200517_015137.jpg

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
for things that required a delicate approach, but some force (like doorpanel clips, window trim and hupcaps) i use this solution: I've chopped up a kitchen cutting board. those things are made from tough PE plastic material; the more expensive ones from pure PTFE (Teflon). the cheap one will do. I've cut it into strips of 2 inch (5 cm wide), and made the tips in various shapes: sharp point, fork for those doorpanel trim clips, and knife edge. Works wonders on hupcaps too!
As they are soft enough, you can hammer them quite hard while keeping paint intact.
View attachment 138435
Much better than the plastic ones.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking for ideas, I came upon this thread and reading with some amusement. My first BMW was a 1968 1600 bought used in 1975. It had the hubcaps and that strange hook thing on the lug wrench. Even then, without an internet and forum, it became evident that the ONLY way to get those caps off was to use the lug wrench with the thingy. Funny how despite the vast amount of knowledge and insight we have gained, there is still some lost to time. Good luck finding those outside rings. I recall they were thin as paper.