WTB: Wooden grab rail

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is certainly a nice feature on RHD cars. I have just had the fun of re-veneering this piece with its compound curves. As I am a beginning to working with wood, it was an interesting day. By 'interesting' read inter alia, frustrating, demoralising, problem solving and finally, alcohol inducing. I will post some pictures once completed.
Rek, are the rhd grab rails veneered? It seems like that would be a near impossible task with all the curves and scalloping. All the 2000cs rails I have seen are solid wood, probably ash or maple, that has been tinted to match the dash. Short of using some synthetic material, I can't imagine how one could veneer that with real wood.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is correct. The problem is that the internal steel frame does not lend itself to adding the wood rail to it. You have to use a router to carve a channel inside the wood rail. Because of the compound curves involved, it is not an easy task.

Easy task for a CNC machine. That includes the scalloping. You just need to modelthe grab rail. You can start by modeling the actual RHD version then invert it and add the channel.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Easy task for a CNC machine. That includes the scalloping. You just need to modelthe grab rail. You can start by modeling the actual RHD version then invert it and add the channel.
In theory, yes. I have thought about purchasing or setting up such as system. But because of the awkward size and shape of the item, suddenly it becomes quite a bit more challenging.

Rek

Reaction score
Rek, are the rhd grab rails veneered? It seems like that would be a near impossible task with all the curves and scalloping. All the 2000cs rails I have seen are solid wood, probably ash or maple, that has been tinted to match the dash. Short of using some synthetic material, I can't imagine how one could veneer that with real wood.
Mine was veneered. It was complex to attach veneer to especially at each end. It is not finished yet so could still go wrong.

m73

Reaction score
Or do we have a photoshop mystery on our hands.....:confused:

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The owner of it says that he got this part and another separate lhd wooden grab rail unattached to a dash in a pile of parts that came with a German 71 lhd car. I bought the unattached wooden grab rail and one from a 2000 CS. We will see how it goes