Yet another not-so-smart question

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Although I'm working on my e21 and not the e9, the center support bearing "pre-load" is confusing. I have the drive line installed and I just need to tighten the CSB. Is it necessary to "pre-load" this or can I just tighten her up. Although I'm supposed to know these things.. I don't. Any completely juvenile explanation that I might be able to understand would be appreciated.

Thanks

mess3.jpg
mess2.jpg

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yes you move it forward just a bit to pre-load
maybe 1/4" just till its tight
it sets the pressure on the bearing not the surrouding rubber

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just for my own education, Peter, is there a purpose to the styrofoam your vise-grips are resting on?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Paul

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just for my own education, Peter, is there a purpose to the styrofoam your vise-grips are resting on?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Paul

It's Owen's Corning foam insulation and it should be insulating the middle section of my garage door. :D

No the car is not being supported by half a jack stand
31446785600_b53065b9da_b.jpg

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
...I'm very impressed Peter , I see you have the uber rare Death Star BMW with the ( small ) asteroid deflector bonnet...gotta have a good windscreen when cruising the Cosmos .

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The foam pad is there in case my vice grip coughs and wets itself. You can never be too careful, and as far as cruising the cosmos, that's what happens when you loan your car to Drew!

I have to say, with the new suspension, Giubo, etc, this car is way fun to drive I think I may leave the re-entry scars on the hood (and elsewhere) so that it may remain in "cloaking mode" while cruising the boulevard. I have a nice set of Pansports that I may shod her with, she does not have a name yet so I'm open to suggestions