your meal today...

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd bore you all as 90% of this thread would just be filled with kebabs. The UK WhatsApp group are probably sick enough of it as it is!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been told it is purely for aesthetics, it makes the tentacles curl up.

absolutely not, experts say that it is relevant to avoiding getting rubbery

found it here: “Al cocerlo se produce una contracción del colágeno que contienen los músculos lo que produce que el pulpo quede duro. Al “asustarlo” lo que estamos haciendo es romper el colágeno con los cambios bruscos de temperatura, por eso nos quedará tierno.”

you must break collagen with sudden temperature changes, that is the reason, be aware

Last edited:

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
absolutely not, experts say that it is relevant to avoiding getting rubbery

found it here: “Al cocerlo se produce una contracción del colágeno que contienen los músculos lo que produce que el pulpo quede duro. Al “asustarlo” lo que estamos haciendo es romper el colágeno con los cambios bruscos de temperatura, por eso nos quedará tierno.”

you must break collagen with sudden temperature changes, that is the reason, be aware
Thank you!

BarnE9

Reaction score
cant beat a good steak, This one was brontosaurus I think

Attachments

• IMG_20210605_152026.jpg
    IMG_20210605_152026.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 105

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is my contribution. Squid ink pasta.

Lightly fried whatever vegetables I had around, I forget what they were.
Boiled the pasta al dente.
Added one gram of squid ink.

Somehow when I had squid ink pasta in Cinque Terre it tasted better. Maybe I used HP printer ink instead of squid ink...

Attachments

• squid.jpg
    squid.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 91

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
this is how we treat meat here,...

BDFE9A0C-A12F-496B-BC2D-444CEAEE33E1.jpeg

meat is from old cows,
fat has to be infiltrated into the meat,

meat piece weights half a kilo, and must be at room temperature at least 1 hour before cooking it

be careful and avoid black burned areas

BarnE9

Reaction score
this is how we treat meat here,...

View attachment 120883

meat is from old cows,
fat has to be infiltrated into the meat,

meat piece weights half a kilo, and must be at room temperature at least 1 hour before cooking it

be careful and avoid black burned areas
Very nice DeQ. Tomahawks were around 1.2kg each from 15yr old cows from Northern Spain (sold as Txuleta here). Salt pepper heat and Barolo

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice DeQ. Tomahawks were around 1.2kg each from 15yr old cows from Northern Spain (sold as Txuleta here). Salt pepper heat and Barolo

some peculiar things in your post, at least peculiar to me,

txuleta is a basque term for that meat, but we never eat them with such a long bone, i can not tell if what you are showing is the same piece of the animal and simply we cut the bone prior to selling,

we are usually offered the wide part or the narrow part, always sort of triangular shape,

it is common to have one kilo piece, but i prefer half and eat two units, they stay warmer, and you can eat slowly

when you grill meat here the cut must show four colours, intense brown 2 to 5mm, never black (black is carbonized meat), light brown 5 to 6mm and interior pink 3 to 7mm and core red, some prefer only outer brown and inside red, but my nature is not that wild, it is impossibke to make it if meat is cold as it comes from refrigerator, so room temperature time preparison is important

best original place for this kind of meat is galicia, northern spain, but we grill it much better in the basque country, hence the fame and the name you mentioned, pure marketing, we do not grow cows here
we eat so many tons of meat that we usually see meat from germany and switzerland as not enough meat could be sourced locally. it is a basic menue at cider houses (cod omelette, fried cod with green peppers, txuletoie, and apple pie membrillo, sheep cheese, and nuts)

salt yes, pepper never !

BarnE9

Reaction score
Yes they are Galician - I dont know why marketed as Basque! The "tomahawk" is a bit of a gimmick - it looks impressive but its basically a bone in rib-eye with extra bone. Appeals to cavemen and E9 drivers apparently. Disagree over the pepper, but as for the rest I bow to your superior steak nerdiness!!

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
some peculiar things in your post, at least peculiar to me,

txuleta is a basque term for that meat, but we never eat them with such a long bone, i can not tell if what you are showing is the same piece of the animal and simply we cut the bone prior to selling,

we are usually offered the wide part or the narrow part, always sort of triangular shape,

it is common to have one kilo piece, but i prefer half and eat two units, they stay warmer, and you can eat slowly

when you grill meat here the cut must show four colours, intense brown 2 to 5mm, never black (black is carbonized meat), light brown 5 to 6mm and interior pink 3 to 7mm and core red, some prefer only outer brown and inside red, but my nature is not that wild, it is impossibke to make it if meat is cold as it comes from refrigerator, so room temperature time preparison is important

best original place for this kind of meat is galicia, northern spain, but we grill it much better in the basque country, hence the fame and the name you mentioned, pure marketing, we do not grow cows here
we eat so many tons of meat that we usually see meat from germany and switzerland as not enough meat could be sourced locally. it is a basic menue at cider houses (cod omelette, fried cod with green peppers, txuletoie, and apple pie membrillo, sheep cheese, and nuts)

salt yes, pepper never !
LOVE This! Cant wait to grill some beef!

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been making chilli con carne for years, accompanied by steamed brown rice, guacamole, corn chips and beer. Gradually getting it to the point where I can feel the spiciness in my eye balls. A good one takes about 5 to 6 hours.