Your thoughts on this find?

bjc

Reaction score
Long time lurker on this forum and am a huge fan of the E9, but I really am quite wet behind the ears when it comes to these cars. However, I would like to get your thoughts on something I stumbled across.

I recently purchased a vehicle and when I picked it up I did a thorough inspection of it. After spending some time looking at my car, a bright color in the corner of my eye caught my attention. I was absolutely FLOORED and my jaw dropped when I came across this (in my opinion) beauty:

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

The wheels certainly do not look original and I'm not sure what those round things are in the back window, but everything else looked legit. But again, I wasn't sure what to really look for! :cry: The paint looked phenomenal, though the car was extremely dusty. I wasn't able look under the hood or look in the trunk. I felt like I was being watched like an eagle around this car. I shot the quick photos and had to be on my way. I was given ZERO information about this car, but I do know that it has been sitting there for "several years" by the gentleman who imported it into the states. I wasn't given a specific time, though. I think about this car all the time and want to know so much more, but it's quite the mystery.

Thoughts? Comments? Observations?

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Golf CSL

Hi!

A very nice car which looks like a genuine CSL. The car looks familiar to me and from the interior point of view, I would guess a late 1974 or an early 1975. The wheels are not original CSL but I think they were available as an original period option.

If the car is the one I'm thinking of, it's a 3.0 CSL Bat from the last batch of 57 Bat cars (VIN range 4355001-4355057) and this particular car might have (or had) an owner with the initials MG and a pretty early VIN in the 4355xxx range.

Cheers

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
The round things look to be self contained speakers in order to avoid cutting the rear panel to install speakers.

JhwShark

Reaction score
It looks like 619 km to me. Been around once?
My observations...
Sure does look sweet but it could also be 100619...
It's not nice to fool mother nature...Did you see the state of the drivers floor mat, the rubberized section where the feet rest while driving...I believe that is not 619 miles worth of degradation???

The linkage arm that goes from the gas pedal up-wards appears to have some discoloration...

The chrome ring around the spedo has some rust looking discoloration...

The wood dash looks re-done but the wood in the shift tray looks older...

mbmw

Reaction score
I like to shed some light on some of the questions which surfaced. The car in the pictures which "bjc" posted is the CSL which I sold several years ago to a gentlemen from Chicago. The mileage on the car is 100619km. When I sold the car it had less then 100k on it. It is a CSL VIN 435500X. I bought the car in the early 90's from someone in Germany and imported it to Canada.
I also looked at the link which "CSL 1973" posted. The two cars are not the same. The silver one is not a CSL. The golf yellow one is the same car as the one above.

bjc

Reaction score
I like to shed some light on some of the questions which surfaced. The car in the pictures which "bjc" posted is the CSL which I sold several years ago to a gentlemen from Chicago. The mileage on the car is 100619km. When I sold the car it had less then 100k on it. It is a CSL VIN 435500X. I bought the car in the early 90's from someone in Germany and imported it to Canada.
I also looked at the link which "CSL 1973" posted. The two cars are not the same. The silver one is not a CSL. The golf yellow one is the same car as the one above.

Wow, well that's more information that I had ever hoped to have received on this car. What are the odds that the previous owner would actually be on the forum? This is great information and I appreciate you sharing it. It's funny how the car is the same one noted in CSL 1973's post. The colors don't even look close!

bjc

Reaction score
My observations...
Sure does look sweet but it could also be 100619...
It's not nice to fool mother nature...Did you see the state of the drivers floor mat, the rubberized section where the feet rest while driving...I believe that is not 619 miles worth of degradation???

The linkage arm that goes from the gas pedal up-wards appears to have some discoloration...

The chrome ring around the spedo has some rust looking discoloration...

The wood dash looks re-done but the wood in the shift tray looks older...

I agree, it certainly seemed to "worn" to have only 619km on the clock. The paint was stunning though. When I was walking around it there appeared to be no real visible flaws.

I'm really curious about the history of the car. Has it been repainted? How original is it?

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Many thx for the info mbmw!

In my notes I had "imported to Canada and VIN 4355017". At least Canada was correct but could you pls confirm the VIN and if Golf was the original color.

Very nice car with some period correct wheels, speakers, steering wheel etc. As far as I can see, the Scheel seats have been redone.

Bjc:

the Golf color differencies is due to the quality of the photos. I have other and older photos of the car and it's in perfect Golf color.

Cheers

pmansson

Reaction score
Golf is a very tricky colour to photograph, print, display, transmit or whatever.
It can show up in anything between canary yellow and lime.

Did you buy it unseen, BJC?
And then you were pleasantly surprised.... Great story.
Usually it´s the other way round !!!

bjc

Reaction score
No no, I didn't buy this bat! I certainly wish I could have, though. I went to pick up a different vehicle that I had purchased. When I was inspecting MY vehicle I saw this in the corner. I Inquired about it, but was unable to get ANY information about the car or the owner.