zenith carburetors iddle valve, help

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hello

I would like to find a couple of iddle electric valves for my Zenith inath 35/40 carburetors

reference number 13 11 1 260 218

iddle valve (ref. Nº1 in picture)

ifptns.jpg

the bmw chart says they are discontinued, but not so long ago I found a nice repair kit for this carburetors in Classicgarage, and I was wondering if this valve can also be found somewhere

regards

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you doing this for originality or because you have an issue with run-on? My Zeniths never had this part, and I don't have a run-on problem. For sourcing, your best bet may be to buy a complete used carb from EBay, etc. Or Carl Nelson may have a spare in a drawer somewhere.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My Zeniths won't run without this solenoid, are you sure your carbs don't have this? It is wired in the same small harness that has the choke connections.

61porsche

Reaction score
Zenith Idle stop valves

Maximillian lists them, albiet pricey at $300 ea. Besides the other suggested sources try W&N and Jaymic. LaJolla did have used spares and perhaps does when I checked a year ago.

Mercedes did use the same carb for a while. Perhaps thier boards can help.

One other possibility is that there are idle stop valves used on similar applications- VW Karmen Ghia or type 4s comes to mind. The part looks the same and costs- $20-30. Wolfsburg and just about any VW parts supplier should work if you want to try it out. I thought about it hard, but got a set of spare carbs which is a very good thing when you have to order a replacement part and wait. Has anyone else tried this?

In my experience the valves work and are pretty long lived. Try cleaning, testing, checking power, etc.

Hope this helps.

61Porsche

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Maximillian lists them, albiet pricey at $300 ea. Besides the other suggested sources try W&N and Jaymic. LaJolla did have used spares and perhaps does when I checked a year ago.

Mercedes did use the same carb for a while. Perhaps thier boards can help.

One other possibility is that there are idle stop valves used on similar applications- VW Karmen Ghia or type 4s comes to mind. The part looks the same and costs- $20-30. Wolfsburg and just about any VW parts supplier should work if you want to try it out. I thought about it hard, but got a set of spare carbs which is a very good thing when you have to order a replacement part and wait. Has anyone else tried this?

In my experience the valves work and are pretty long lived. Try cleaning, testing, checking power, etc.

Hope this helps.

61Porsche
Also try Mesa Performane:
www.mesaperformance.com 800-221-6372
Jim -or Spence both have long term experience with Zeniths and are a good source for used parts as well as new.

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Zeniths won't run without this solenoid, are you sure your carbs don't have this? It is wired in the same small harness that has the choke connections.

By "won't run," do you mean the engine won't immediately shut off? These are supposed to kill the idle fuel flow, correct? They are a suggested upgrade for my early 2800, per the service manual. But with my recent carb rebuild, run-on hasn't been an issue.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
dear gentlemen

let me give you an answer to so many answers and new questions that arised in the interchange of replies

my carbs do have such a valve connected (one valve per carb), the issue is that the cold start of my engine is not satisfactory, as one said: "it stumbles and dies"

to avoid the problem you should maintain the accelerator pedal pushed until the engine becomes warm, and when the engine is warm it works pretty well

so may be the first help you can give me is telling me that the fault is comming or not from the mentioned iddle valve

regards

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Once your coupe is warmed up and running, unplug one of them. If the engine stumbles it is working, then try the other. Most likely they are working fine and it is the choke itself, the housings can be turned to adjust richness but I would make sure the chokes close all of they way when cold and you have pushed the pedal down firmly to set them before starting the engine.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
DEAR HBCHRIS

yes, I checked and you were right,
they worked ok, but now I am afraid if they stop working I will have to throw away my car, my god, when you disconect them it virtually stops the engine !

regards