Zenith question

Honolulu

Reaction score
Fellow sufferers inflicted with the Zenith 35/40 INAT disease: what happens if, at idle, you take off the top of the air cleaner and cover/seal the secondary inlets with your hand or rag or whatever?

I don't believe the secondaries are supposed to flow any air until the linkage is far enough advanced to allow them to open - pretty close to wide open.

Pending your response, I think I gotta take mine off and reset the limit screws on each. And the back carb is a hassle to remove.

Charlie

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The secondaries should remain closed (no air flow) until the Primary is about 50% open. It sounds like cleaning and setting the stops are order. I also use a bit of white grease on the throttle valves to keep the smooth.

Honolulu

Reaction score
actually...

Thanks, this is what I thought.

Note: secondaries remain closed until the primaries are about 90% open, then they may (not have to be) opened by the vacuum unit. The throttle linkage alone won't open them, even when floored.

Gee I thought someone might try close off the secondaries and we'd see what another coupe might do. Guess folks aren't into Zeniths much, but I know they are out there.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
You got it right. Until the primary is open far enough the secondary remains locked (otherwise idle vacuum would open it). Once the primary opens (>45 degrees?) it releases the secondary. The linkage only opens the secondary a small bit, vacuum does the main work of opening the secondary.

I'm running Webers today (came with car) but over the winter I'm switching back to Zeniths.