Zenith wizardry in TN/KY

70roundtail02

Reaction score
Looking to see if there is anyone between about Louisville and Nashville that could provide some instruction/mentorship on tuning the Zeniths on the Bristol RHD.

I’ve addressed and fixed a couple issue (vacuum and fuel) but still having trouble getting it to idle. The carbs don’t seem to the idle cut off solenoid, the spare set in the trunk does, but the mourned ones don’t.

Getting good fuel and spark, if i fill the carbs it will fire and run. It will continue to run under throttle but the second it drops down under 1k on the rpm’s it dies.

Appreciate any help info or guidance.

YoAdrian

Reaction score
I've had issues with it dying when the fuel line was old/loose causing the fuel pump to suck air. Another potential is the diaphragm inside the mechanical fuel pump -it is known to leak when the rubber ages and can struggle to provide enough fuel.

stphers

Reaction score
If I understand this right, both electric idle jets are not working on the carbs? to check them, make sure that there is power coming to them. It is easy to accidently ground one out and the fuse blows, check them as well. to check them, take a 12v source ( battery ) and after removing the idle jets, attach a wire between the terminal end of the jet and + on the battery and just ground out the case to the - post. It should click quite loudly ( opening solenoid inside the jet ) If all that works, blow out the idle circuit and make sure that with the choke off, the idle set screw is opening the throttle a bit and then try it

Thanks, Rick

70roundtail02

Reaction score
It appears so down in the base on each side. I’m going to spend some time working on them this weekend. With a little fuel in the bowls the car kicks over instantly. Keep the revs off idle and it will run just fine.

I think one of the water chokes on the front carb is off. They should be closed in the cold start position correct?

70roundtail02

Reaction score
Got that sorted, now wondering if there are actually some disconnected vac lines. Base of the carbs drivers side. The front and rear are “Tee’d” together but then it’s connected to nothing?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, the choke butterfly should be almost completely closed when cold. There should be a small gap ( about 4mm ) clearance so some air can get in.

Thanks, Rick
It should be completely closed
no gap at all
when you start the engine the vacuum produces the gap that is stated by the adjacent membrane and its limiting screw

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got that sorted, now wondering if there are actually some disconnected vac lines. Base of the carbs drivers side. The front and rear are “Tee’d” together but then it’s connected to nothing?
Cap all of them if not running distributor advance

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It should be completely closed
no gap at all
when you start the engine the vacuum produces the gap that is stated by the adjacent membrane and its limiting screw
Secondaries should have some clearance to avoid binding - I forgot the spec - perhaps .1 mm?

70roundtail02

Reaction score
So I’ve capped the two lower ones on driver side (passenger because car is RHD) but will refer to it as if it’s normal driver side being left.

On the passenger side the front carb has one line going to the distributor. Car is running a UK/ based lumenition ignition system. The same port on the rear carb is capped off.

The knurled screw at the base of the carbs passenger side what does it control?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
So I’ve capped the two lower ones on driver side (passenger because car is RHD) but will refer to it as if it’s normal driver side being left.

On the passenger side the front carb has one line going to the distributor. Car is running a UK/ based lumenition ignition system. The same port on the rear carb is capped off.

The knurled screw at the base of the carbs passenger side what does it control?

do you have stock air filter ? If yes why Capp the hoses ?

knurled screws are iddle screws

do you know how synchro ? And tuning ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Some knowledge

Here also videos

worth a watch

70roundtail02

Reaction score
4CC2322C-0DC5-4317-8FDF-65F4B3A83CB5.jpeg