ZF s5-16 5-speed gearbox?

sirnosed

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been searching for a Getrag 265/6 OD gearbox for quite a while now without any succes. That's a hard to find piece of hardware! :shock:

But now I have come across a 5-speed ZF s5-16 gearbox. The seller claims it also fits the E9.

Is that true? And if so, would this be a good choice, comparable with a Gertrag 265 overdrive box? Would there be a speedo cable issue, or any other downsides?

The ratios are: 1. 3.716 2. 2.037 3. 1.339 4. 1.0 5. 0.8

Thanks! Regards, Jonas

ZF-1.jpg

ZF-2.jpg

Honolulu

Reaction score
Does it have a mechanical speedo drive?

The 265 I am used to has an extra case section in it which the one pictured does not seem to. Should check the overall length, it may have implications for drive shaft length and crossmember bolting.

A pal claims to have two 265s just sitting. I will investigate...

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If that infact is the E9 ZF/ 5sp box, It's quite rare and sought after and expensive if in good working order. Alpina used them too and they are really hard to come by. Odd, you've been looking for a Getrag and find a ZF/ 5sp and it looks in great shape too. Want to sell, swap, for a Getrag contact me Keshav

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does it have a mechanical speedo drive?

The 265 I am used to has an extra case section in it which the one pictured does not seem to. Should check the overall length, it may have implications for drive shaft length and crossmember bolting.

A pal claims to have two 265s just sitting. I will investigate...

That post is from 2012 and the last time he posted

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like the one in the original post fits an M20 engine. Used on Euro E30's. The mounting interface on an M20 looks the same as M30/M10, but is not the same size.