Values of E9: German CSL sold - asked price was 65 000 euro

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
2275xxx said:
The wheels on the yellow CSL are BMW Motorsport wheels, an optional feature. They were labelled "BMW - Mahle".
The Recaro Idealsitz-S could also be ordered from BMW Motorsport.

BMW Motorsport had just BARELY been formed when the 2275 coupes were produced, and the folks who dealt with them directly (at that time) were competitors, and not the "general public." And even in 1973 competitors would not have used heavy one-piece wheels or heavy reclining seats when their rules allowed for changes.

I'd like to see if the wheels actually have "BMW-Mahle" cast into them, or if that is simply a description from a later-70's parts fiche or book that has grown legs over time.

I.M.O the implication that those vintage recaros in the bat-ized golf car, or those Mahle wheels, were factory part number-listed dealer "options" in 1973 is perhaps misleading, though I am SURE unintentionally so. But (again my opinion only) in both cases those ARE period-appropriate add-ons, just like the 3-support wing out back.

So what did that golf CSL actually sell for?

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
2275xxx said:
The wheels on the yellow CSL are BMW Motorsport wheels, an optional feature. They were labelled "BMW - Mahle".
The Recaro Idealsitz-S could also be ordered from BMW Motorsport.

BMW Motorsport had just BARELY been formed when the 2275 coupes were produced, and the folks who dealt with them directly (at that time) were competitors, and not the "general public." And even in 1973 competitors would not have used heavy one-piece wheels or heavy reclining seats when their rules allowed for changes.

I'd like to see if the wheels actually have "BMW-Mahle" cast into them, or if that is simply a description from a later-70's parts fiche or book that has grown legs over time.

I.M.O the implication that those vintage recaros in the bat-ized golf car, or those Mahle wheels, were factory part number-listed dealer "options" in 1973 is perhaps misleading, though I am SURE unintentionally so. But (again my opinion only) in both cases those ARE period-appropriate add-ons, just like the 3-support wing out back.

So what did that golf CSL actually sell for?

gazzol

Reaction score
timt said:
Are your contacts a business or just private individuals managing a few cars

The owner of the group 5 Schnitzer is a private collector of competition cars with provenance. He has a large collection of rally cars mostly from the "golden age" in the 80's and a few other cars like the CSL thrown in for good measure. The owner of the Faltz Alpina has his own business prepairing and maintaining racing BMW's.

gazzol

Reaction score
timt said:
Are your contacts a business or just private individuals managing a few cars

The owner of the group 5 Schnitzer is a private collector of competition cars with provenance. He has a large collection of rally cars mostly from the "golden age" in the 80's and a few other cars like the CSL thrown in for good measure. The owner of the Faltz Alpina has his own business prepairing and maintaining racing BMW's.

2275xxx

Reaction score
dp said:

Motorsport started using and selling these parts more or less at the same time the first Bats where road tested (June to August 73).
So you are correct: they were likely not yet available when chassis 2275243 was produced (probably January 73).

Here are factory pictures of Bats with the Mahle wheels.
M-YM313 was photographed both with Alpina and Mahle wheels.

dp said:

They do have BMW and Mahle cast into them.
There was also a BBS Mahle version, with the center in gold.
They are almost identical otherwise.
The BMW Motorsport wheel had the German homologation number KBA40069, the BBS had KBA40070.

These have BMW cast on them. Sorry for the quality of the picture.

dp said:

With the oil crisis from late 1973, BMW AG started cutting budgets. Racing was suddenly not a priority anymore.
BMW Motorsport started selling everything they could in order to fund their activities.

Here is a 74 Motorsport catalogue (image downloaded from the BMW Archive site).
The wheels shown are the BMW Mahle ones and the seats are Recaros of the Idealsitz-S type.
The Motorsport steering wheel was made by Ati.
The jackets were sourced from Head.

2275xxx

Reaction score
dp said:

Motorsport started using and selling these parts more or less at the same time the first Bats where road tested (June to August 73).
So you are correct: they were likely not yet available when chassis 2275243 was produced (probably January 73).

dp said:

The BMW Motorsport wheel had the German homologation number KBA40069, the BBS had KBA40070.

dp said:

With the oil crisis from late 1973, BMW AG started cutting budgets. Racing was suddenly not a priority anymore.
BMW Motorsport started selling everything they could in order to fund their activities.

The wheels shown are the BMW Mahle ones and the seats are Recaros of the Idealsitz-S type.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
2275xxx said:
dp said:

dp said:

dp said:

VERY cool, thank-you for sharing!

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
2275xxx said:
dp said:

dp said:

dp said:

VERY cool, thank-you for sharing!

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Just to clarify things about the large rear spoiler on the Bats.

The two fin rear spoiler:

Bats with VIN 2275 430 - 2275 539 110 CSLs with fuel injected 3153cc engine (7/1973 - 10/1973) production code 7071

The three fin rear spoiler:

Bats with VIN 4355 001 - 4355 057 (1/1974 - 10/1975) large three fin spoiler as from 4/1974 - 10/1975 production code 7071. Plastic rear spoiler with rubber lip

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/faq/3.0CSLspoilerkit.jpg

The Golf CSL 2275243 sold by a German dealer (asked price was 65 000 euro) is not a Bat but a very nice CSL with added Bat kit (original BMW option at that time).

As a curiosity; in 1982 I was offered to buy a Bat CSL (2275527) by a Swedish car dealer. The car was priced at 20 000 SEK (about 2000 euro). The car was not in good condition and the rear wing kit was missing. The BMW dealer in Sweden had these pieces listed with BMW parts number and available for about 800 euro (complete rear large spoiler set).

...and no, I did not buy the Bat CSL , I bought a CSi instead (because it was more comfortable...).

A very useful FAQ about the CSL is available via the following link:

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=1

Cheers

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Just to clarify things about the large rear spoiler on the Bats.

The two fin rear spoiler:

Bats with VIN 2275 430 - 2275 539 110 CSLs with fuel injected 3153cc engine (7/1973 - 10/1973) production code 7071

The three fin rear spoiler:

Bats with VIN 4355 001 - 4355 057 (1/1974 - 10/1975) large three fin spoiler as from 4/1974 - 10/1975 production code 7071. Plastic rear spoiler with rubber lip

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/faq/3.0CSLspoilerkit.jpg

The Golf CSL 2275243 sold by a German dealer (asked price was 65 000 euro) is not a Bat but a very nice CSL with added Bat kit (original BMW option at that time).

As a curiosity; in 1982 I was offered to buy a Bat CSL (2275527) by a Swedish car dealer. The car was priced at 20 000 SEK (about 2000 euro). The car was not in good condition and the rear wing kit was missing. The BMW dealer in Sweden had these pieces listed with BMW parts number and available for about 800 euro (complete rear large spoiler set).

...and no, I did not buy the Bat CSL , I bought a CSi instead (because it was more comfortable...).

A very useful FAQ about the CSL is available via the following link:

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=1

Cheers

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Another interesting reflection in relation to RHD CSL: I have just been informed that a fjord RHD CSL (2285429) in renovated condition is up for sale. The price tag is 57 000 euro and I think that makes it to the most expensive RHD CSL ever (in relation to asked price).

Cheers

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Another interesting reflection in relation to RHD CSL: I have just been informed that a fjord RHD CSL (2285429) in renovated condition is up for sale. The price tag is 57 000 euro and I think that makes it to the most expensive RHD CSL ever (in relation to asked price).

Cheers

Gosch

Reaction score
2210270 the first fake ??? not listet in offiziell VIN Range

timt said:
Gazzol, the Falz Alpina was the car in the following link in the colours shown http://www.racingsportscars.com/chassis/2210270.html

If you trawl around the rss site you should find the other car, I think I spotted it briefly but have just timed out for dinner, sorry! Driver is much less known but I think this might tell us that the values of some (all?) of the better known cars will be much, much higher. So, of the man with the Gosser Beir car, very lucky B****. I think I saw this car at a CC meet at Silverstone not long after it was "recovered" but may have been a different one; was it restored by Zaprace?

There are more about now so lucky us to be able to see them again. I'm just envious, one could say "green" !!

http://www.bmwcsregistry.org/Coupe_Information/169CSL.htm :?: :?: :?:

Gosch

Reaction score
2210270 the first fake ??? not listet in offiziell VIN Range

timt said:
Gazzol, the Falz Alpina was the car in the following link in the colours shown http://www.racingsportscars.com/chassis/2210270.html

If you trawl around the rss site you should find the other car, I think I spotted it briefly but have just timed out for dinner, sorry! Driver is much less known but I think this might tell us that the values of some (all?) of the better known cars will be much, much higher. So, of the man with the Gosser Beir car, very lucky B****. I think I saw this car at a CC meet at Silverstone not long after it was "recovered" but may have been a different one; was it restored by Zaprace?

There are more about now so lucky us to be able to see them again. I'm just envious, one could say "green" !!

http://www.bmwcsregistry.org/Coupe_Information/169CSL.htm :?: :?: :?:

DJSimca

Reaction score
CSL 1973 said:

Do you have any documentation (brochures, flyer or whatever) showing that the Batmobil wing kit was available as an option for 2 275 xxx CSLs ??

Thanks in advance

DJSimca

Reaction score
CSL 1973 said:

Do you have any documentation (brochures, flyer or whatever) showing that the Batmobil wing kit was available as an option for 2 275 xxx CSLs ??

Thanks in advance

DJSimca

Reaction score
oh .. and what I also wanted to ask... do you know anything about the whereabouts of 2 275 527?? Do you have pictures of the car?

DJSimca

Reaction score
oh .. and what I also wanted to ask... do you know anything about the whereabouts of 2 275 527?? Do you have pictures of the car?