What would you pay for a pair of high quality reproduction tail light frame/lens

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Quick question for Stan.

I've been operating under the assumption that I can just order a set later once I get closer to needing to worry about such things. Is this a relatively safe bet or are you going to hand this over to a larger vendor? Sorry if this has been covered already.

The frames on my '71 look really nice. I think the CSI frames have a bit more pitting, but it's hard to tell with the overspray on them now.

I wouldn't be opposed to supporting the initial effort and building a set to sell, but I'm worried about the final cost to the buyer. Any old tail goes for $200 these days, so that would be at least $800 for a set of nice tails with new lenses. Is there demand for $800 tails?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i don't want to speak for Stan, but i would think this is a volume order thing. order a bunch that gets the best price to get them made ... and forget about it until there's another big demand. you don't want to be sitting on thousands of dollars of inventory ... or at least i wouldn't

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos,
When you consider W&N was selling NOS of $1200 a pair $200 is pretty cheap.
I will buy probably 3 extra sets. When they are gone I can try to get more but this has been touch and go for 2+ years,

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, thank you so much for doing all this testing work. We all benefit from your and Stan's generous time and effort.

guys -

i am going to spend more time with them tonight. the first comment is - they look GREAT. the second comment is that in the first test fit - they fit into the frames easily. since these new lenses will have to be adhesive applied into the frames, there must me a little room for the glue to be placed ... and there is.

in pic 1286 - the lower unit is a very good used unit that has some minor surface scratches on the lenses from sitting on shelves - the one next to it is mediocre frame (needs to be rechromed) with the brand new lenses sitting in it. the red color is rich

in pic 1289 - this is the same lower unit with an excellent right frame with the lenses sitting in it. looks even better than the NOS unit.

if you look at 1289, you will see a slight gap between the lens + frame. this will require perfect placement to avoid the gap being distracting. i say this because i'm being picky and offering full disclosure. i am confident that this can be properly placed and will look great. further disclosure, Stan isn't getting these back as i am buying them.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos,
When you consider W&N was selling NOS of $1200 a pair $200 is pretty cheap.
I will buy probably 3 extra sets. When they are gone I can try to get more but this has been touch and go for 2+ years,

And yet, the molds will have already been made and the setup for molding lenses isn't horrendous (I'm told). I could see this as a situation where the guy makes them when there orders reach a certain level (just as BMW does for some classic parts).

John

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And yet, the molds will have already been made and the setup for molding lenses isn't horrendous (I'm told). I could see this as a situation where the guy makes them when there orders reach a certain level (just as BMW does for some classic parts).

John

The guy has been an enigma to me. He might work when the spirit moves him or he may have so many small projects percolation that it takes time between. I am hoping a large order would motivate

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay guys ... a little further looks.

1st - the backup light lens - we have to figure out if they only made one mold or 2. both of mine are exactly the same so the passenger side doesn't look right.

2nd - the red color is perfect - i compared them to a NOS light - see pic 1308. the only visible difference is the edge of the box in the middle of the brake light lens.

the gap ... this is going to take some work in the best way to place the brake lens - the turn signal is not much of a problem to hide the gaps. that being said - rechromed frames might fill this gap if the chrome is a little thicker than original.

am i still buying this set - yep, i am.

Attachments

• IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 248

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Count update

30 sets so far.
A lot of interest.
Sent a set to Coupe King and they should arrive Saturday.
Maybe he can test fit next week and give his opinion.
I am reaching out to the manufacturer but no reply yet...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

i am in for the set i have w/ red turns ... and i want a set with amber turns i will count my frames to see if i need / want more.
scott

kongsfam

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,
New to the forum, 72 3.0CS
I emailed you also, but in for an
Amber set
Thanks
Bill

Sportster

Site Donor
Reaction score
Word of caution

On another forum that I'm a member of, several of us paid in advance for a series of books on Metal shaping machines.

There were 3 or 4 books left of the series and a DVD which we never received as unfortunately the author died.

It's been a little over 2 1/2 years now and it's pretty certain we will not receive a refund of the monies paid.

Maybe there are steps that can be taken to ensure that a similar situation doesn't occur
with these lenses.

Just a thought.

Peter.

loloe13

Reaction score
Stan,
What is the chance of just getting an extra set of the amber lens only (on top of my existing order of a full set).
Sorry, didn't mean to make your ordering more complicated, but a good friend is keen just for the amber lens only.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

I'm going to piggyback on loloe13's question, as I'd like the full set of lenses with red turn signals as mentioned earlier, but I'd also like a set of amber turn signals as well.

IF that is possible (and relatively attractive from a pricing viewpoint!), please let us know.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,
What is the chance of just getting an extra set of the amber lens only (on top of my existing order of a full set).
Sorry, didn't mean to make your ordering more complicated, but a good friend is keen just for the amber lens only.

All things are possible

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On another forum that I'm a member of, several of us paid in advance for a series of books on Metal shaping machines.

There were 3 or 4 books left of the series and a DVD which we never received as unfortunately the author died.

It's been a little over 2 1/2 years now and it's pretty certain we will not receive a refund of the monies paid.

Maybe there are steps that can be taken to ensure that a similar situation doesn't occur
with these lenses.

Just a thought.

Peter.

Well, maybe loloe can go get them or everyone could donate enough for one round trip flight from Boston to Melbourne and I can hand him cash for plastic