What would you pay for a pair of high quality reproduction tail light frame/lens

loloe13

Reaction score
Well, maybe loloe can go get them or everyone could donate enough for one round trip flight from Boston to Melbourne and I can hand him cash for plastic

not a bad idea for a quick trip to USA!!
but i just worry the US custom will stop me dead, wondering why this guy is carrying 30+ pairs of plastic lens in a suitcase but just one pair of clean underwear....
any recent news on plastics lens that can melt back into possible powder substances?

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would be in for a pair at < $600.

I tried to swap a lens from one rear tailight to another over the weekend with smashed lens as a result!

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan,

Please put me in for two sets. Both with amber turn signals.

Thanks for doing this.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
okay guys ... a little further looks.

1st - the backup light lens - we have to figure out if they only made one mold or 2. both of mine are exactly the same so the passenger side doesn't look right.

2nd - the red color is perfect - i compared them to a NOS light - see pic 1308. the only visible difference is the edge of the box in the middle of the brake light lens.

the gap ... this is going to take some work in the best way to place the brake lens - the turn signal is not much of a problem to hide the gaps. that being said - rechromed frames might fill this gap if the chrome is a little thicker than original.

am i still buying this set - yep, i am.

Scott,

Have you or anyone else actually put the lenses through a bulb light transmission test? What do they look like with a lit bulb behind them. They look good in the photos in terms of translucency but should we see what they actually look like when lit up...?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

Have you or anyone else actually put the lenses through a bulb light transmission test? What do they look like with a lit bulb behind them. They look good in the photos in terms of translucency but should we see what they actually look like when lit up...?
i will try to do this sometime this week. i will just tape the new lenses in ... and i will compare it to the NOS red turn signal set.

DIESEL1

Reaction score
e9 lenses

Stan,

I would like a pair of amber and a pair of red lenses. I sent you a private message as well.

Cheers!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update:

Check the list on page 11 of this thread to be sure I have the correct information.

I sent an email to the maker. Await a response and hope he hasn't gone dark again

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Check the list on page 11 of this thread to be sure I have the correct information.

I sent an email to the maker. Await a response and hope he hasn't gone dark again
Stan,

it might be easier to use the post #107 within this thread. for instance i have this site configured to show the most recent post on page 1.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

i finally got through all of my frames / lenses to assess what i am going to buy.

i am staying with the 1 set of reds / 1 set of amber. in addition, i need 1 left brake and 1 left and 1 right amber turn (if we can buy single lenses).

i will probably put up a few serviceable frames / lenses for sale ... i have more than i need of each side. i think i have a couple that aren't perfect, but have decent chrome with decent lenses. if anybody wants a frame to send out to have rechromed (left / driver's side) that you could put new lenses in ... let me know, price will be very reasonable.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i did a study today of the color of the lenses while illuminated. i have to tell you it was very, very similar. i will have to scale down the pix to be able to post them.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here are a few of the first pix - taking the pix at night with an iphone - the red color doesn't come out very well. i guess i will try when its daylight. in particular, look at the reflection of the red on the chrome of the bumper.

Attachments

• IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the lists on here are we signalling interest just in lenses now rather than whole lens and frame sets?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the lists on here are we signalling interest just in lenses now rather than whole lens and frame sets?
this is interest in new lenses that are being reproduced. we haven't tried to get new frames produced. it would be cheaper, and would fit better to just rechrome frames. the problem has always been that once you removed the lenses to rechrome the frames ... you were stuck.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great - thanks for clarifying - im still in for a set with Amber lenses. It would be great to be able to order one main red lens too but I guess that gets messy!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Place your order

OK everyone, I finally got with the guy manufacturing. He is beginning production but there is an update to prices.

When he sent the first set he did not factor in the cost of shipping and he wrote out the invoice in a way that was not entirely clear. The tail lights will cost more than anticipated but still a very good deal.

Brake lights - $55.00 per side
turn signals - $40.00 per side
back up lights $25.00 per side
Shipping in continental USA $10.00
TOTAL for one full SET (left and right) = $250.00 shipped

Turn signals in either amber or red
Back up lights can be made in amber

You can mail a check to me.

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
test pilot

OK Stan, I'm game- need your address and I'll check them for fitment with multiple frames up on the shelf and post results, also, do you recommend using a heat knife to affix the lens to the frame?

Thanks

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan, sorry for the hassle but at the new price I will only take one amber set.