e3 Restoration

Bwana

Reaction score
Remember this guy for $900? Well, it was accurately priced.

IMG_1472_zpsremmxso9.jpg

I picked it up last week as I couldn't turn down the price. It rolls and the tires hold air (sort of)

Alley Oop!

IMG_1491_zpso2g7vk6d.jpg

No dice the first time

IMG_1495_zpsoxtrqfx8.jpg

Second time's the charm!

Put yer backs into it, ye swabbies!

IMG_1500_zpsgon2apy2.jpg

Job done!

IMG_1506_zpst1l5mwdq.jpg

Is this that was making all that racket?

IMG_1511_zps14igdxpb.jpg

I'm pretty sure it fits in here someplace

IMG_1513_zpsazejvaac.jpg

What you get these days for $900 plus a tow

P5270647_zpsksp9voqr.jpg

P5270649_zpsjzbstviz.jpg

P5270650_zpshshpg3rk.jpg

I picked the Bavaria because the current market values are low and changing it from stock will not lower it's value. I'm planning on installing a built turbocharged engine with COP and some sort of aftermarket FI system. I do have a spare D-Jet manifold setup so I'm going to try and keep it period correct looking (sort of). It does have a manual but I don't know if it's a four or five speed (forgot to ask). The engine is free and the guy said it has cold A/C. Really?

It appears that most everything is there but it all needs a bit of *ahem* "refreshing".

This saga will probably take a couple of years as the car is at my other house, I only get there four or five times a year :cry: . But stay tuned, the next activity will be to strip out the interior and check for rust.

Any initial tips or thoughts?

Edit: How similar are these to e12/535's? I've been looking at pictures of both and they seem very similar. Interchangeable parts?

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
awesome. I think this may be my first "not mine" sales reference to go through. Good to know that people are in fact interested. There are a $1,500 and $1,000 e3's on the east coast right now, but I didn't post them.

subscribed!

chope97

Reaction score
Rear shock towers in trunk

check for rust in floor around accelerator pedal, shock tower in trunk, inside front fenders above turn signals. Front of hood on the inside. Check area around HVAC fan under the hood also. You might want to treat these areas with something like POR15

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are interchangeable parts between the E3 and E12. The most important right now being the inside door trim. Sound deadening/rubber seal. They are NLA for Bavaria but still available for E12. Not cheap but if yours are in really rough shape and you have a lot of wind noise or water comes through then worth every penny. GLW-Restoration. Looking forward to the updates and I remember that car being for sale. Glad it is being saved....Thank you!

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There are interchangeable parts between the E3 and E12. The most important right now being the inside door trim. Sound deadening/rubber seal. They are NLA for Bavaria but still available for E12. Not cheap but if yours are in really rough shape and you have a lot of wind noise or water comes through then worth every penny. GLW-Restoration. Looking forward to the updates and I remember that car being for sale. Glad it is being saved....Thank you!

Hi Shane. Which seal are you referring to? I may need one of those.

Cheers! Happy Holidays.

Bwana

Reaction score
Just noticed that the VIN plate on the right side engine compartment is missing. I'm pretty sure I can get another but for now, is there another place on the car the VIN is stamped?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Passenger side firewall

Just noticed that the VIN plate on the right side engine compartment is missing. I'm pretty sure I can get another but for now, is there another place on the car the VIN is stamped?

Bwana

Reaction score
I think that's the one I'm missing. Right behind the strut mounting point? But I just found a sticker from the state of Arizona on the drivers door jam that confirms the VIN on the title so I''m hoping I'm OK to register it in NM. If it's a "numbers matching" car, is it stamped on the engine somewhere?

Also, I put the VIN from the title into RealOEM and it comes up a Euro delivery, right hand drive 318i :eek:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I just noticed it's for your e3 - I was thinking it was your csi...nevermind

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Shane. Which seal are you referring to? I may need one of those.

Cheers! Happy Holidays.
Part number 51721817588. Edge Protection Front. Apparently the rear's are NLA (part number 51721817589). Jim at Mesa Performance was able to get all four a while ago but they were pricey, like $900 for all four. I ordered the two fronts from Maximillian at $93.53 a piece, I will let you know if they fit properly and if they indeed swap in no problem from the e12 part number, cross your fingers.