WTB: Nice E9

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do see that the E9 community is notably older than the E30 - not a huge surprise. I am 38 years old and have an appreciation for all things vintage. It will be interesting to see how many younger BMW enthusiasts pursue these cars in the future. It seems that total cost of ownership is higher with the E9 which is one reason you don't see as many younger owners.

-Alan

I think the issue has less to do with total cost of ownership and more to do with the barrier of entry. Even with the market slow-down, a rusty non-running e9 is still $6K. $15K gets you a car that needs major body and interior work, and an issue-free car doesn't start until you hit the $30's. It's been my experience and observation that a young enthusiast will dump their heart, soul, and pocketbook into their car once they have grown attached to it, which is why I think that total cost of ownership isn't the main detractor. I also think that the e30 M3 community and the e30 community are two very different demographics.. The M3 community has the high barrier of entry, but they can still get a cheap e30 tail light if they need one. :)

I'm in the under 40 owner demographic but I find the more mature to e9 community to be a refreshing change for me. This it he first group of folks that I've interacted with that got their first 70's German automobile in the seventies! The level of tribal knowledge and experience is astounding!

Robert A

Reaction score
IMG_0157.JPG

Here is the Proffesor.

Robert

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Robert - your car looks very clean! I have decided to focus on finding a 3.5l car so I don't think yours is the one for me. I will certainly reach out if that changes! If you have not done so already I would recommend chatting with Peter C. as he just sold a very clean 2800CS and can provide some guidance on the marketing and pricing.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Robert - your car looks very clean! I have decided to focus on finding a 3.5l car so I don't think yours is the one for me. I will certainly reach out if that changes! If you have not done so already I would recommend chatting with Peter C. as he just sold a very clean 2800CS and can provide some guidance on the marketing and pricing.

Your call but I think you just reduced your inventory by 70%.

floridabmx

Reaction score
Your best bet is to find the best coupe you can then buy a $1500 e34 and put the m30b35 in it.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Robert, where are you in Texas?

I don't think you will need my help selling that car :)

Eiremon, I think you may be passing up some good ops. I am building a 3.5 M90 for my blue coupe, but that's because the 3.0 /automatic that came in the car (now a 5 speed) is a real dog. I only have 125 psi across the cyl's. The 2800 I just sold was much quicker and more nimble. I drove an M6 this morning and it was not much "quicker" than the 2800, maybe having 60 more HP (this car) and probably 600 lbs more weight. I also had the pleasure of driving a 3.5 megasquirt a few months back and it was quite nice but again, it was not a tire smoker.

The "Professor" looks awesome, and I'm only guessing here but it looks pretty original- down to the tires.. From a value point of view, it will probably appreciate faster than a modified e9 and as long as it's a stick it will be a blast to drive.

Just to be clear, I do prefer Mary Ann or Ginger though.

Robert A

Reaction score
I'm in NC. I just love the 2800CS plate for shows. I just got a 1974 NC plate with 2002 for my 74tii.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I think of the "Professor" I think of Neil Peart. I'm a Mary Anne (Dawn Wells) guy

Robert A's car, the Professor, is an excellent coupe, one of the finest I've seen.

Last edited:

xjan99

Reaction score
Looking at the thread you might consider looking over the pond too. Not sure about the import tax etc involved, but some quite nice E9s/projects for sale on Mobile.de.

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks - I have considered Europe as a source but it's a challenge in a number of ways. Given the number of E9's in the US I think it only makes sense to source a rare BMW (CSL, 2002 Turbo, E30 M3 Evo, etc.) from overseas.