Spare Keys

jarrod ingleton

Reaction score
Hi all
May seem like a silly question but I am trying to work out how I can get a spare set of keys for the csi. Only came with one set. Would BMW service offer this or is there another option.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Several folks here have used Keys4classics.com and report good results. I have not used them myself, but intend to when I get around to ordering a new key.

mosearch

Reaction score
I used Keysforclassics recently. Perfect fit. 2 keys (master and trunk) for about $70. Not BMW logo but OK by me. Takes several weeks.

Storage Andy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have to ask this question. My car had the ignition replaced. I have two keys for that. Thank god. I have no keys for the door locks. Called my local BMW store and the parts person was unable to help my with getting a key for the locks or even blanks. Is there a way to get my door lock key with out having a key all ready?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there is a code on the lock itself ... its near the moving lever if i remember correctly. the downside is that you have to take the door panel off and get in there to find out. there is a chance that it is probably the same as the trunk lock ... which would be easier to get to. it typically is the same ... but not always

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
do a search on key replacement ... there are a few companies that can make a new key with that code

Ian_fegan

Reaction score
Is this what an E9 key should look like? It's the key I have for my car....
Key.jpg

Wladek

Reaction score
That one is spare (not genuine BMW), but it is proper type key for E9. It is master type key (7 holes) that work also with trunk and glove box.

Ian_fegan

Reaction score
That one is spare (not genuine BMW), but it is proper type key for E9. It is master type key (7 holes) that work also with trunk and glove box.
Thanks for that. Any one know where I can get a spare cut in Ireland or the UK?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

climbernyc

Reaction score
I found the key code on the back of my glovebox lock. Keys4classics in AU made me spares- very satisfied with their work and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damienh

Reaction score
Keys4classics did a pair of spares for me too by using the code on the glovebox lock (this was their advice, they were very helpful). I think the glovebox lock is the one to use, because the door lock code may not open the glovebox and boot (trunk). As far as I understand it, the reason for this is because there was originally a "valet key" supplied with the car which only worked in the door and ignition. I'm in the UK and delivery was very efficient.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
+1 for 'keys for classics' I got three from him for about 60 bucks (was a few years back), he's in Canberra

John

Berkeley Bob

Reaction score
Hi all
May seem like a silly question but I am trying to work out how I can get a spare set of keys for the csi. Only came with one set. Would BMW service offer this or is there another option.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just want to confirm that it still possible to get factory keys directly from BMW at least for a 1970 2800 CS.

When I bought my car, I had only one ignition key (a Pebra with dimples) which is pretty dicey given how I misplace things! Anyhow, I spent some time going in circles with local locksmiths but no luck.

I contacted the parts department at a local BMW dealership in Concord, CA and was told that my key was no longer available even though I had the key code which was still legible on my key.

I took one last try with Weatherford BMW in Berkeley and dealt directly with the wholesale parts manager Jon Hoke ( [email protected] , 877-491-9071). Jon made a couple of calls on my behalf and three days later I had a perfect new factory key for about $65.

Best,

~ Berkeley Bob

Honolulu

Reaction score
Did they reproduce the key from the code, or a key you had? In other words if another of us wanted a key(s), would we send a code or key? There should be some verification that the key or code holder actually has rights to the car to which the key belongs... may be you skipped that..?