Reaction score
Hi all. I wonder if anyone can help me. My CSA has a Gear Position Indicator on the steering wheel column and the bulbs are all working but I was wondering how this is connected to the auto gearbox. There's no sign of any wiring to the gearbox at all so I'm assuming the previous owners have removed it. All I can see is a wire leading to a plug attached to the bulkhead in the engine bay and that's it. I'm assuming from here there should be a wire attached to the gearbox? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi, there is an electrical indicator on the transmission itself that works the lights, depending on the type of transmission as to where the indicator is located.

lloyd

Reaction score
Hi all. I wonder if anyone can help me. My CSA has a Gear Position Indicator on the steering wheel column and the bulbs are all working but I was wondering how this is connected to the auto gearbox. There's no sign of any wiring to the gearbox at all so I'm assuming the previous owners have removed it. All I can see is a wire leading to a plug attached to the bulkhead in the engine bay and that's it. I'm assuming from here there should be a wire attached to the gearbox? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The short answer is that in order to work, your gearshift illuminator was designed to be hardwired to a switch that is fitted to the transmission's mechanical shift linkage. There is typically a molex connector that allows the wiring to be disconnected. The switch is part number 61311359541.

Here is the molex connection.
31260004_z.jpg

Here is the switch mounted on transmission.
31260005_z.jpg

Look carefully and you will note position of switch at bottom-center of illustration.

00004001.jpg

61311359541.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your replies. Really appreciated. The knowledge people have on this site is incredible! Looks like I need one of those then - not cheap like most parts for this! I'm nearing the end of my restoration now and will post up pics when it's complete :)