Legends of the Autobahn

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Sure was, had a great time. Parked between Carl & Chris

38a598e0acb05caa392dec1e64a76371.png

1d9a64a7d0f13d34d80873a016573854.jpg

It's quit a busy day trying to see all the cars and answering questing from others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After dealing with the failed clutch master, the 2800 was loosing power under load on Saturday and I had no time to investigate. I left Monday morning at 5:30 and made it to Paso Robles. I had a hunch it was the points so I opened the Dizzy and confirmed my suspicion. The red screwdriver and feeler gauge were used to open the points gap, even though the feeler is .020 and I needed .015, I just needed it to be close. I started her up and she instantly wanted to rev, success! I kept it to 70mph on the way home and got 22mpg. On the way up at 75-80mph I got 20mpg, impressive and unexpected from the ZF 4 speed.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, Barry -- Mike paid me to park next to him so his car would look better in comparison.

I thought I was going to have the triple weber category all to myself, and then Carl showed up!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sure was, had a great time. Parked between Carl & Chris

38a598e0acb05caa392dec1e64a76371.png

1d9a64a7d0f13d34d80873a016573854.jpg

It's quit a busy day trying to see all the cars and answering questing from others.

Next time, now I know what car is yours. Nice..... are the rear tires stretched a bit? I see it in the picture and thought I noticed that in person.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After dealing with the failed clutch master, the 2800 was loosing power under load on Saturday and I had no time to investigate. I left Monday morning at 5:30 and made it to Paso Robles. I had a hunch it was the points so I opened the Dizzy and confirmed my suspicion. The red screwdriver and feeler gauge were used to open the points gap, even though the feeler is .020 and I needed .015, I just needed it to be close. I started her up and she instantly wanted to rev, success! I kept it to 70mph on the way home and got 22mpg. On the way up at 75-80mph I got 20mpg, impressive and unexpected from the ZF 4 speed.
Great to hear it made it back. My valve guides are starting to go. Burned about 1-1/2 quarts in 851 miles. Rear of car has quite a bit of exhaust oil (bumper, trunk, etc.) and my poor wife couldn't figure out why her windshield was so smudged when she tried to clean it at the gas station. She was behind me the whole way back. I owe her a detail I guess.

I've known about it for a while but the trip put it over the top. Sustained speeds over 80, occasionally 100mph+. What is it with college aged girls cutting in front of you with one foot distance on the freeway between me them and the car in front of them? I wanted to strangle her.... Anyhow...... I love the 4 sp. 3700RPM doing 75-80, those motors seem to love that all day long. Love it on the hills and mountains. I don't see the need for a 5 sp. And I'm not a big dog-leg fan either with the different gearing. But new clutch needed soon and will replace throw out bearing same time I guess. Anyone have any recommendations on clutches other than stock? Like in between a stock feel and racing? Heavy duty but not too heavy....LOL...

Glad you made it up and back Chris without a tow, that is BMW for you......

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
2017-08-20-08-07-59-jpg.29815

I didn't realize this was you. I was camped near the gate by the permanent bathrooms with the truck bed tent. You drove by several times along with the white Bavaria. We admired your car. :)

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
2017-08-20-08-07-59-jpg.29815

I didn't realize this was you. I was camped near the gate by the permanent bathrooms with the truck bed tent. You drove by several times along with the white Bavaria. We admired your car. :)
Dan can you repost the pic? I can't see it. Not sure if you are referring to me or not.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Next time, now I know what car is yours. Nice..... are the rear tires stretched a bit? I see it in the picture and thought I noticed that in person.

Yeah there's a bit of a stretch on the rear tires. No more that on the old Csl race cars
2598dca871e003751e8444beb0437113.png

My son & I are planing on coming down for the SoCal vintage in Nov

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah there's a bit of a stretch on the rear tires. No more that on the old Csl race cars
2598dca871e003751e8444beb0437113.png

My son & I are planing on coming down for the SoCal vintage in Nov

Cool, nice shot. SoCal Vintage is fun, look forward to meeting you. Can't believe I missed you at Legends I was hoping to put some more faces to the names. I missed DANG (Dan) too.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan can you repost the pic? I can't see it. Not sure if you are referring to me or not.

If you were in the Golf Bavaria at turn ten.... then...

Attachments

• camping locations.jpg
    camping locations.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 163
  • camp 1600.jpg
    camp 1600.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 165

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes shoot, I wish you would have said hello. Where was the coupe?

The coupe was in the garage at home. We brought the truck with all the gear and truck bed tent. You drove past us a few times in the camping area.... we said "Oooooo aaaaaah!". :)