Original BMW Warranty parts.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI- I own a Black/Black M5

I keep this car up very well and got tired of the heater control valve problem almost every year. I read on myE28 that the aftermarket replacement valves are not designed correctly and that's why they fail. Some say the MB valve is better. So I decided (while you can still get it) to buy a whole new valve from BMW. Yes, it was $300. Installed it last Monday drove the car a little on Friday and then went for a spirited mountain drive on Saturday. While I was waiting for the rest of the cars to show up I parked on a little bit of a hill in a mall parking lot. I looked back 20 minutes later and see a puddle running down the hill. Looked at valve and see water coming out a seam just above where the hose attaches. Looks like valve is bad. I did get to do the drive. It was not leaking that much and drove for a couple hours and then added some water. Email parts guy at dealer and here's the biggie. I have to bring the car to the dealer and let a mechanic look at valve and make sure it was installed correctly before they will replace it. They order part and replace it. Needless to say I'm not very happy to take my show winning car to the dealer. I do all my own work and always have. We'll they have a mechanic that has been there since 86 and he has worked on an S38 engine before???? I told them the only way I would do this is if I can be there when he looks at the valve. Here's a photo taken with my bore scope. So just be aware of the potential downfalls of warranty on parts. Can you imagine if this was and expansion valve or rear main seal. We'll see how this ends.
Valve.jpg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No need to be nasty. Isn't this the CLASSIFIEDS section? If the OP has a question or observation, he's in the wrong section and may not get any appropriate response(s). That's all.

Sheesh.

Nasty? I don’t think so. You seem to question and criticize on many posts, please lighten up.

restart

Reaction score
We should have a separate folder for that.Price?location?)pretty sure the OP is trying to SELL the point that he WANTS BMW to step up to the plate now that he has been SOLD on their product
Lost in translation ha!

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are you being SARCASTIC, I can’t tell.
Thanks Chris.
It's in the parts section. This is about a part. Yes, not for an E9 but the intention was to inform people about the fact that if a BMW part fails you will not be able to return it unless you let them check for proper installation and then install the new part if the old was indeed found to be defective.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Chris.
It's in the parts section. This is about a part. Yes, not for an E9 but the intention was to inform people about the fact that if a BMW part fails you will not be able to return it unless you let them check for proper installation and then install the new part if the old was indeed found to be defective.

I mean no disrespect and I honestly don’t mind at all, but this topic could be moved by a moderator to the off topic section or the seller feedback section. This is the classifieds forum for e3/e9 parts. I can’t fault
anyone for being confused.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ecpeuro

Have you tried them
61377c5a77013fe7566231db7aea37f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I've bought parts from them but nothing I had to return for warranty. I should ask them how they handle that since BMW's policy now is like I said in my OP. I also get better prices from BMW than I do from FCP?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Tell them you want to see the resume of the person who is going to do the work before they can touch your car.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Car has appointment next Tuesday. Mechanic has been there since 86. This is an 88 car. I checked on him with an independent mechanic I know and he said he would be fine.
I hope they will let me be with the car. They ordered replacement part when I showed the photo. Today I put the pressure tester on the radiator and ran it up to 15 psi. Got a photo with the bore scope of water running down the body of the valve. The highlights are on the water. Top of valve is to the upper left.

Image-1.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary,

if the s38 is anything like the s14 ... and i know it has some of the same dna ... they run at higher water pressures - 21 i think. so if this is a standard e28 part it won't last.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary,

if the s38 is anything like the s14 ... and i know it has some of the same dna ... they run at higher water pressures - 21 i think. so if this is a standard e28 part it won't last.
You are correct Scott the cap is rated at 20Lbs. And yes this part is for all E28's. But as far as I know the one in the car has been there for 30 years.
Now we may discover that BMW is not making this part correctly to stand up to approximately 5-6Lbs more pressure than a M30 powered 535.
The problem over the years has been the insert that is basically a solenoid that opens and closes a valve to let hot water through the heater core.
The after market versions of this valve have been failures for many years evidently because they were not manufactured to the correct specs.
That's why I decided to replace the whole unit. BMW valve insert is $150 and after market is $40 so you can see why people have been buying the after market valve.
You've got to realize that an M5 is at the very extreme end of value in the E28 model line and therefore because it's value continues to rise it's in my best interest to keep the car up and use proper
parts to repair it. Many E28 owners have gone to just a simple off/on manual valve or some are using a valve from the E46. They do not look stock.
Just have to see what happens. I did pressurize the system with my radiator pressure tester and at 15 lbs the valve was leaking. Could be it was already damaged I just don't know and will find out next week.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary - one other thought to toss into the mix on the quality of the part. When I went to rebuild my brake master cylinder I purchased a seal set that had turned to goo in the packaging. Obviously, this set was manufactured a long time ago and had deteriorated while sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Are there rubber seals inside the part you replaced that could have deteriorated merely by sitting around for a long time? If so, mentioning this might provide BMW a face saving way to accept responsibility for the problem (assuming they are inclined to do so).

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary - one other thought to toss into the mix on the quality of the part. When I went to rebuild my brake master cylinder I purchased a seal set that had turned to goo in the packaging. Obviously, this set was manufactured a long time ago and had deteriorated while sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Are there rubber seals inside the part you replaced that could have deteriorated merely by sitting around for a long time? If so, mentioning this might provide BMW a face saving way to accept responsibility for the problem (assuming they are inclined to do so).
Thanks for the tip Chris. The part was very new looking and I did look at the seal and it seemed to be fine.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It started with Bosch for me.... They sell so few vintage spark plugs that they outsourced them to many small new suppliers in:
Russia, India, Brazil and others. The quality is so poor that many repair shops won't touch them.
Next came BMW.. Vintage parts sell so few items that these parts are now outsourced. Center bearings now sell at the dealer with "Made in Taiwan"
printed on the box. Along came the secondary suppliers and some are high quality - Febi, Sachs, and ATE are good but URO and MTC are lousy.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It started with Bosch for me.... They sell so few vintage spark plugs that they outsourced them to many small new suppliers in:
Russia, India, Brazil and others. The quality is so poor that many repair shops won't touch them.
Next came BMW.. Vintage parts sell so few items that these parts are now outsourced. Center bearings now sell at the dealer with "Made in Taiwan"
printed on the box. Along came the secondary suppliers and some are high quality - Febi, Sachs, and ATE are good but URO and MTC are lousy.
I saw the Bosch S38 spark plugs change to Brazil. I bought an complete extra set before the German ones were gone. Many have switched to NGK which is Japanese I believe but the quality is good.