What would you pay for a pair of high quality reproduction tail light frame/lens

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan, just wondering here;
Doesn't rechroming add a significant thickness to the frames?
If so, the quality (size) of the cooling jig will define greatly the fit of the lenses. If we use a fresh, thick rechromed frame as cooling jig, it will give slightly smaller lenses. These will fit then (almost) all frames that people have at home; original frames, but also rechromed ones.
If the guy uses a frame with original chrome as a cooling jig, the lenses will copy that shape; Those lenses might just not fit (be too big) to fit in a rechromed frame.

I have one spare tailight. I can smash the lenses, have it rechromed and send it to you. Others closer to you might be able to help you out faster though.
let me know.

Erik

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan, just wondering here;
Doesn't rechroming add a significant thickness to the frames?
If so, the quality (size) of the cooling jig will define greatly the fit of the lenses. If we use a fresh, thick rechromed frame as cooling jig, it will give slightly smaller lenses. These will fit then (almost) all frames that people have at home; original frames, but also rechromed ones.
If the guy uses a frame with original chrome as a cooling jig, the lenses will copy that shape; Those lenses might just not fit (be too big) to fit in a rechromed frame.

I have one spare tailight. I can smash the lenses, have it rechromed and send it to you. Others closer to you might be able to help you out faster though.
let me know.

Erik
From what I have been told, re-chroming did not change the thickness. I am trying to find a message from Scott Wilson where he outlined his process for a perfect fit.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From Scott: Anyway if you held one side flush the other stuck out probably 1/8 inch or so, just too big a gap to fill with the urethane cement. So i used 5 min epoxy and glued one side down tightly and left to set over night. The next day i took a propane torch and heated the underside of the lens, that is to say the textured face. This was done very carefully with the end of the flame maybe 10 inches away watching to ensure no melting, etc. Within 30 seconds or so i was able, with a gloved hand, to simply push down and hold the other side of the lens to make a perfect fit. After holding in place until cool then quenching with water it held the perfect fit shape so as to epoxy it down. I then flowed the urethane cement you suggested to give the lens the "bead" around the edge to essentially match the look of the other lenses. It turned out REALLY well.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chrome does change the thickness, but a very small amount, probably not noticeable in this application
Chrome plating is sometimes used to increase the diameter of a bearing for a tighter (correct) fit
I have a friend with a 50's BSA and that was required to get the bearing to fit

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Stan for the info. Good to know it doesn't really matter if the frame is original or re-chromed.

Should I need to bend a lense, I'd take a different route however. Using a propane burner is surely a way to go, but pointing it at a new lens needs some talent (or balls); it's quite frightening; too uncontrolled for me. Another way would be to put the frame + lens in your kitchen oven and heat it gently in steps (starting at 75 degrees Ccelsius, adding 25 degrees each time if needed) up to the point where it can be clamped into position. A guess for typical lens plastics ( PC or PMMA ) is about 100 -120 degrees Celsius to get them to deform under hand power. Let it cool and cement it in place. Much more controlable, but much more time consuming as well.
Erik.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Reproduction lenses in a re-chromed frame
photo.jpg

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe if someone collected 20 frames?
That someone (not me) would be responsible to collect, ship, receive, and re-distribute.
Perhaps for a small fee???

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have had a little chrome done (and zinc), mostly for a motorcycle I have been working on
I don't get the feeling they give you a quanity discount, it is time based

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Platers do have a minimum, usually something like $50
Beyond that I think it is just time on each part

Dave G

Reaction score
Restoring my E9 now, could use the name of a reputable chrome plater, not many around any more, if you're willing to share your guy. Thanks. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
dmg360,

Look in the front section of the big Hemmings Motor News (that magazine is ALL advertisements). The front section has services in alphabetical order, and there are usually at least a dozen or more chrome plating companies that specialize in automobile restoration parts.

Gary